Poor Produced 2019 SE's ?

Im 48....I know all about the lawn. I just find it amusing that when you dont have "street cred" on an internet forum, your opinion and/or issue is worthless. I get it though, for every person that has an issue there will be the ones who defend a brand till they die.
Just as a person is free to criticize, a person is free to reply to that criticism. The reply was asking about other aspects of the guitar. There have been through the past few years criticisms totally out of left field, and started by internet trolls. While the OP is neither, I personally don’t think it’s reasonable to expect perfection. At the same time , we don’t have to live with inferior product from a factory that may not have the quality standards that PRS has. How about a middle ground, or are you always this defensive? We’re paying attention, and we all want to keep our eyes on the prize.

Just as a person is free to criticize, a person is free to reply to that criticism. The reply was asking about other aspects of the guitar. There have been through the past few years criticisms totally out of left field, and started by internet trolls. While the OP is neither, I personally don’t think it’s reasonable to expect perfection. At the same time , we don’t have to live with inferior product from a factory that may not have the quality standards that PRS has. How about a middle ground, or are you always this defensive? We’re paying attention, and we all want to keep our eyes on the prize.

I'm not defensive at all. Im not criticizing a product here, I made a statement concerning ones opinion about another persons opinion or issue. I'm sorry, I havent drank the kool-aid. Like it or not, I see a company that is superior in marketing 101.

I saw a post where a person stated that Paul knows his business is built on repeat customers, not new ones. That makes for interesting conversation.

I think we’re curious about whether or not this model will have anything sonically, and also the neck carve. There have been very few reviews since the announcement of this model. If I were a stoptail player, I’d certainly be looking hard at it. I actually expect teething issues regarding quality from Indonesia. The big thing is, this could be a great guitar for a player to take to a gig and not cry if it got nicked. Yes, there are over- zealous people protecting the brand, just as there are trolls. I’m not backing either end, but there’s no need to get nasty. Opinions about opinions are in the he said/ she said category in my mind.

I'm curious as to where this goes concerning other guitars in this model. I've been eye-balling these pretty hard. Hopefully we start seeing more real world pics.....

What makes a persons opinion "overly critical"? Do you work for PRS?

I wish I worked for PRS, but no, I don't.

Overly critical, as in; "the guitar is ugly, should not have passed QC", which has nothing to do with quality, the beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Or, a "small gap between the control cavity cover and body", being attributed to poor quality routing, when it was just a short piece of plastic and the routing was fine, but you might not even notice if it hadn't been pointed out. Nit-picky things similar to those, coming from a someone that seems to have an axe to grind.

Yeah those inlays are all off center. I was under the impression that the import guitars were all QC’d in the US factory after being built. My Korean made SE has a QC card and there was nothing wrong with it. Maybe QC isnt as strong with the Indonesian guitars? This is especially sad considering the SE Paul’s guitar is about $1,000 and at that price you’re getting into S2 territory.

-k

It's all about perceived value.

I sell you something that I present that looks a certain way, you buy it based on that as one of the criteria. If the item doesn't meet its visual promise, it's a defect. Is it a defect in the function? If part of the function is aesthetics, then yes.

One will not put full value on something seen as defective, but may accept it at a reduced cost. Not everyone will.

So you can return it and get one in acceptable condition, what's the big deal? Well, now you have had your time wasted by the vendor. Your expectations have been broken. Your opinion of the producer may be reduced. There are things the vendor can do to fix this issue, esp in regards to how they handle the situation, but that's a different topic.

Instruments are personal, and therefore emotional to many. I've never bought an SE, despite their generally well regarded status. The first time I went to check one out, it did not meet up to the expectations I had of a PRS.

This is definitely not a non-issue. A reputation is at stake here. Wether or not its 0.00001% of items, there's a public reaction, amplified by 'influencers' on the internet.

Uhh, this kinda went off the rails, so I'll just stop now and leave it. =)

Simmer down. There are a lot of things that could fall into the overly critical category. "My blue isn't the same as it was on line". All kinds of comments about pickups, before the user tries adjusting height or pole pieces. Coming in slagging with an issue that they know nothing about. In other words; creating a forum account just to b!tch about something, as is so common today.

Yep, get offa my lawn. I am that old guy. No offense directed at you. :)
Äh..yeah! "an issue i know nothing about"..c'mon.. and i do not wanna "b!itch" something or anybody.. i just wanted to know if others made same Experience with these Quality Issues on the new 2019 Models and if it's maybe a Factory Problem or not. Whats the Deal? Nothing.. just tell your Experience and thats it. Everything is fine!

It's all about perceived value.

I sell you something that I present that looks a certain way, you buy it based on that as one of the criteria. If the item doesn't meet its visual promise, it's a defect. Is it a defect in the function? If part of the function is aesthetics, then yes.

One will not put full value on something seen as defective, but may accept it at a reduced cost. Not everyone will.

So you can return it and get one in acceptable condition, what's the big deal? Well, now you have had your time wasted by the vendor. Your expectations have been broken. Your opinion of the producer may be reduced. There are things the vendor can do to fix this issue, esp in regards to how they handle the situation, but that's a different topic.
No..no, and nope! Yes, i can return (i have), there is no big deal and my Expectations havent been broken. Everything is fine. General talk here about Experience between Production Quality in different Factorys.

If I had to guess most if not all of the people who are complaining these issues bought their guitars sight unseen online from sites that do no have photos of the actual guitar they’d receive. Half of the blame should be on them and a portion on the vendor that shipped the guitar for not QCing their product beforehand.

-k

Yes bought and received a TX20E and the nut was cut poorly, too low. Cannot be set up properly. Working with PRS to determine whether they will fix it or send a new one. Otherwise the guitar was in really nice shape.

It seems to me that a lot of the disappointments that are vented on the forum stem from the fact that there are some unrealistic expectations floating around about SE's, i.e., that they're all going to meet the same standards as a Core model. Well, some of them might! But for the most part, it might be a better idea to approach them just like you would an Epiphone in the same price range.

Äh..yeah! "an issue i know nothing about"..c'mon.. and i do not wanna "b!itch" something or anybody.. i just wanted to know if others made same Experience with these Quality Issues on the new 2019 Models and if it's maybe a Factory Problem or not. Whats the Deal? Nothing.. just tell your Experience and thats it. Everything is fine!

Sorry brother, my reply was not directed at you, or this thread. It was a reply to a comment by another poster.

It seems to me that a lot of the disappointments that are vented on the forum stem from the fact that there are some unrealistic expectations floating around about SE's, i.e., that they're all going to meet the same standards as a Core model. Well, some of them might! But for the most part, it might be a better idea to approach them just like you would an Epiphone in the same price range.

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you. Regarding Epiphone I've had a Dot and an ES335 Pro Limited in recent years and they were perfect; they were purchased new for <$400. Currently I have two MIK PRS SE CU24s which were both purchased new. The first one eventually needed a pickup switch which was replaced under warranty, but the finish was perfect. The second one had no issues. Expecting an SE to be without defects is appropriate.

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you. Regarding Epiphone I've had a Dot and an ES335 Pro Limited in recent years and they were perfect; they were purchased new for <$400. Currently I have two MIK PRS SE CU24s which were both purchased new. The first one eventually needed a pickup switch which was replaced under warranty, but the finish was perfect. The second one had no issues. Expecting an SE to be without defects is appropriate.
NOT knocking Epi! I myself have an Indonesian Les Paul Tribute I bought for $750 in 2010 which is a wonderful guitar, 90% of a Gibson at 25% of the price. BUT I had to have the nut done right out of the box. I have a 2018 Custom 24SE that I had to file the bridge saddles on just to get it to within spec, right out of the box. It's probably 90% of a Core (after I added the Mann vibrato!) for the same 25% of the price.
My point is that for $XXX you are going to get $XXX level QC, and I think it's unrealistic to expect $4,000 level QC in an $800 guitar. It's just economics.
That said, I wouldn't let the mfr off the hook on this one. Those birds are just wrong.

Last edited:
If I had to guess most if not all of the people who are complaining these issues bought their guitars sight unseen online from sites that do no have photos of the actual guitar they’d receive. Half of the blame should be on them and a portion on the vendor that shipped the guitar for not QCing their product beforehand.

-k
Yes, not every shop has Photos online from the actual Guitars they are selling. But they also do and did a QC.. and my Pauls SE passed it. But they dont look after these Things. They look more after String-Height, PickUp-Height and so on when they do a QC.

Back