Poor Ol’ McCarty Model

Super guitars. I was very tempted to get an older one until I heard the siren song of the 594 and was helpless against its pull.

One of these days I'm gonna accidentally buy a SAS after having a couple drinks.

They are nice enough that you can buy one sober and celebrate with a couple of drinks.

The prudent thing to do, of course, is both. Drinks before buying, and drinks after delivery!

I love my old 94 McCarty. I go back and forth on keeping it the way it is, or sending it to the PTC.

I’m the same way with my ‘96. Those early McCarty pickups with the round corners just sound really good and I’ve never convinced myself to change them. I survived the many years of 57/07 lust which has now turned into 58/15 lust, but those original pups are still in there. The later model McCarty pickups were not nearly so pleasing and they are now gone from both my McRosie and SAS...

Yes, my McCarty pups have mellowed so nicely. They will never leave that guitar. I have changed the bridge to the adjustable. The old one was really worn down and losing its plating. Not good for the wrist when you digging in. One of the tuners broke so I put on some locking Schallers. Gave it a new nut and a re-fret to jumbo frets as the stock ones were wore down hard. Oh, and put on some lampshades and new pup rings as the old ones turned orange and one had a crack in it. I love that guitar!

Mine’s going to come back from the PTC with 53/10’s, a Fralin Blues Special in the middle, mini toggles, and a new adjustable bridge (it’s not a trem model). Should be a whole new axe and hopefully something special. I never did like the McCarty pups in that guitar...

I have a 2000 Mccarty and I liked the Mccarty neck but I thought the Mccarty bridge was kind of plain and uninspiring.

8515s now.

My wife bought me my McCarty for Christmas a few years back... one piece top, Antique Violin wrap, <7.5 lbs., and resonates right through my rib cage... I even like the stock McCarty pickups so much I can't bring myself to swap 'em out (and 57/08s are my absolute fave pickups ever)... I love this guitar:

l9xsoZp.jpg

I have a 2000 Mccarty and I liked the Mccarty neck but I thought the Mccarty bridge was kind of plain and uninspiring.

8515s now.

The neck pickup in my 98 McRosie could get just plain muddy. I’m not sure whether that was a result of the rosewood neck or just the way that the McCarty pups evolved after the first few years. Before PRS developed the 57/07s and subsequent models, I had Mick at Manlius pickups wind me a set of his Hot Rod 59 pickups with slightly unbalanced coils so they would split better. They were a big improvement, with a rounder sound and I have not felt the need to try any others in that guitar. From the way that others have described the 59/09s, I think they are probably similar. My SAS is a 99, so the McCarty pups in that guitar are the same vintage as the ones originally in the McRosie. In the SAS I thought they sounded more aggressive in humbucker mode and just kind of weird when split. The Duncan Vintage Rails in the middle didn’t help, I thought it was kind of lifeless, so I never was totally happy with that guitar, which is why I was originally trying to sell it. I bought a set of the 53/10s when they were getting ready to disappear, thinking I would find a use for them one day, and that’s what is going in the SAS with a Fralin Blues Special that Lindy wound to go along with them in the middle position.

The neck pickup in my 98 McRosie could get just plain muddy. I’m not sure whether that was a result of the rosewood neck or just the way that the McCarty pups evolved after the first few years. Before PRS developed the 57/07s and subsequent models, I had Mick at Manlius pickups wind me a set of his Hot Rod 59 pickups with slightly unbalanced coils so they would split better. They were a big improvement, with a rounder sound and I have not felt the need to try any others in that guitar. From the way that others have described the 59/09s, I think they are probably similar. My SAS is a 99, so the McCarty pups in that guitar are the same vintage as the ones originally in the McRosie. In the SAS I thought they sounded more aggressive in humbucker mode and just kind of weird when split. The Duncan Vintage Rails in the middle didn’t help, I thought it was kind of lifeless, so I never was totally happy with that guitar, which is why I was originally trying to sell it. I bought a set of the 53/10s when they were getting ready to disappear, thinking I would find a use for them one day, and that’s what is going in the SAS with a Fralin Blues Special that Lindy wound to go along with them in the middle position.

I sure wish they could make more 5310s. I bet they will sound incredible in your sas.

My wife bought me my McCarty for Christmas a few years back... one piece top, Antique Violin wrap, <7.5 lbs., and resonates right through my rib cage... I even like the stock McCarty pickups so much I can't bring myself to swap 'em out (and 57/08s are my absolute fave pickups ever)... I love this guitar:

l9xsoZp.jpg

Love that finish!

I'm never selling mine. It is the first PRS I bought.

Same here. I even hated doublecuts at the time, but there she was hanging in the wall at GC Manhattan, a beautiful MC58 in teal black. Then I made a mistake, I asked "let me try that one..." and my world turned upside down :eek:

l9xsoZp.jpg

My Mccarty was a gift from my wife as well. I just got home from work one day and she said will you get the guitar out of my car and bring it in the house?
I thought it was something she wanted me to work on for somebody she knew.

I was shocked. No holiday or birthday??? Just out of the blue.

Back