Pondering a new PRS

bstaggs

I can imagine this gets covered very often, but I was unsuccessful finding anything with the search tool, so please indulge me if you would.

I am pondering a new PRS and with limited or no access to the various models, I could use some advice. Years ago I owned a Custom 24 but found the humbuckers (HFS I think) somewhat muddy and the split coil modes too thin for my needs and regrettable I sold it. I play mainly clean, sometimes with overdrive, but almost never with any real distortion. I will use the guitar to play mainly southern Gospel, country, contemporary Christian, but also venture into the bluesy, classic rock (late 70’s / early80s) sound with no interest in metal or shredding. I currently play a Stratocaster (American Deluxe - love it), Telecaster (Nashville Power Tele - love the tone and piezo bridge, hate the look and feel) and Taylor acoustic. I really dig the single coil sound for lead lines, but I am not a total single coil snob either, as I don’t mind N3s, SCNs or Dimarzio Area noiseless pickups. I absotuly love Fender's Custom Shop 69's but the noise of single coils is such a pain. I was about to buy a HSS Strat, put CS 69's neck and middle with a PAF type HB in the bridge (for the noiselessness and fatter option), but then thought a PRS would add more versatility to my currently inventory.

I am not looking for a Strat “sound alike”, but I do want a versatile ‘fatter’ guitar that doesn’t sacrifice it’s clean tone for high gain. After some research I have my eye on three models; Studio, P22 and the 408. I would like to get some opinions on the strength and weakness of each model. I know the obvious answer is “go try each and pick the one you like”, but I live in an area void of a PRS dealer and the closest one will have only limited offerings.

Thanks for the help,

--
bstaggs

I would think any of your selections would give you what you want. I'd also consider the Brent Mason Signature and DGT.

Perhaps look for a shop that has the models and make a day trip or weekend trip out of it. There's plenty of online retailers with excellent return policies as well.

Perhaps I should be more specific?

The P22's main attraction for me is the piezo pickup. I have one in my Tele and though I almost never use it without the magnetic pickups, I do find the ability to blend it in useful. However the P22 only has HB's and that worries me a little. It would appear PRS changed the pickups from 59/10 to 57/08 I think? So I would have to make sure I can find the correct year to get the one I prefer.

The Studio with the two NF and the 57/08 sounds like the cheeze (based on theory and the online videos), however the 408 seems like the new end all be all in the “jack of all trades” guitar. How do the split coil 408's compare to the NF’s in the Studio. How about the HB of the Studio vs dual coil mode of the 408?

Thanks,

--
bstaggs

I've got a '12 P22 and love it. All five pickup positions are very usable and distinct. I also have a couple guitars with 57/08s, and while To me they seem to really enhance the nature of the guitar they are in, they have very satisfying split sounds. I'm sure they will sound great in a P22 (though I'm very glad mine has 53/10s, if for nothing other than variety).

I'm with you on the piezo. As much as I'm jonesing for some many cool new guitars, I want a piezo in everything. It doesn't take away from the straight ahead magnetic side, but adds so much more flexibility. I don't always use the piezo, but love it when I do.

It all comes down to whether you need the piezo. The 408 will give you what you're looking for on the magnetic pickup side. But it doesn't have a piezo.

The good news is, you can't really make a mistake. Both are super guitars.

Dude totally on board bout the HFS. Those have room to improve. There is alot of PRS guitars, you'll find one.

"limited or stock run of the P408's"...... ah that would explain why I can get a 10 top Studio for less money than a plain maple top 408.

--
bstaggs

Hmmm ... I'm heavily based towards the 408 pickups but a good Swamp Ash Special Narrowfield or Swamp Ash Studio could be right up your 'fat but good clean' alley, as it were.

Let me thank everyone for their comments. I made a long drive to a PRS dealer (is it against the rules to put in a plug for a dealer?) who had all the models of interest to me and came to a couple of conclusions; A. You really couldn't go wrong with any of the three, and B. the PRS 408 pickup is hands down the most versatile pickup I have every played. Blown away! After much agonizing I purchased a 408 Flame Top Red Fire Burst. So Stoked!!!

Let me thank everyone for their comments. I made a long drive to a PRS dealer (is it against the rules to put in a plug for a dealer?) who had all the models of interest to me and came to a couple of conclusions; A. You really couldn't go wrong with any of the three, and B. the PRS 408 pickup is hands down the most versatile pickup I have every played. Blown away! After much agonizing I purchased a 408 Flame Top Red Fire Burst. So Stoked!!!

Well done. Glad you found one that suited you. Congrats. Great guitar and great color.

Back