Poly-gig-amy?

kevphol

How many guitars to do gig regularly? I was at 5 BEFORE I picked up my new CE-22, but it is most likely going to replace my '85 Schecter so I will still be at 5. For me it is just fun to change things up. It works with well too with our mix of tunes because we go from rockabilly to 80s and everything in between. I also have to keep it interesting on my side of the stage since my bass player rotates in a big upright bass and all manner of antics with it, such as spinning it and playing it while standing on top of it with it on its side!

Only 4 shown here but I have my stand modded now to hold 5. :rock:
948_10201249584747155_586902755_n_zps87c8e14a.jpg

How many guitars to do gig regularly? I was at 5 BEFORE I picked up my new CE-22, but it is most likely going to replace my '85 Schecter so I will still be at 5. For me it is just fun to change things up. It works with well too with our mix of tunes because we go from rockabilly to 80s and everything in between. I also have to keep it interesting on my side of the stage since my bass player rotates in a big upright bass and all manner of antics with it, such as spinning it and playing it while standing on top of it with it on its side!

Only 4 shown here but I have my stand modded now to hold 5. :rock:
948_10201249584747155_586902755_n_zps87c8e14a.jpg

Cool. My kind of band.
When I was gigging regularly, I was using my Studio along with my 25th anniversary SAS as backup.

3 usually. Main guitar (usually my Custom 22), baritone guitar (PRS SE) and backup to main guitar (SE Santana). I haven't used the backup yet, but it's the guitar our bass player plays for one song.

Been gigging since 1965 and never have gigged with more than one guitar. Can't imagine shlepping more than one guitar and one amp to a gig. Even for recording gigs in Europe for ad clients, I only took one guitar.

My son just did a 2 month tour of Europe and several large US cities doing acoustic sets (including radio broadcasts and shows with orchestras) with a pretty big time band, and took one guitar (moreover, it was borrowed!).

I see guys setting up three and four guitars for a bar gig, and my head spins.

Maybe you pick like a wuss. :tongue:

Maybe.

It's ok.

My broadcast royalties for ad sessions still come in like clockwork, month after month.

;)

I don't think I've even so much as broken a string since high school. That's how sissified I play. And high school was a LONG time ago.

I pick like a wuss, I'm old, my gray hair is falling out, I do not own tight pants, my guitars are shiny, I lack any tattoos whatsoever, I do not wear makeup, I have a black leather jacket but I'd never wear it to play guitar because of the zipper, and people STILL pay me to do this. And I'm not even that good!

Kinda pisses ya off, doesn't it?

"He doesn't deserve to play sessions." To which I say, "So true, but deserve's got nothin' to do with it." :hello:

Last edited:
My broadcast royalties for ad sessions still come in like clockwork, month after month.

;)

Ooh.. that one hurt!.. but I totally deserved it. :bawling:

I'm lucky to make it through an hour long set without breaking a string, so a backup is a necessity. Believe me, if I could bring less stuff with me I'd do it in a flash!.. Still trying to figure out how to not have to bring an amp.

2 max for me, and the second is usually a backup.
+1
I used to like to switch regularly but our transitions have switched to ZERO breaks, so I don't have time. Mr. Clean does all of the heavy lifting. And I beat the strings so hard that I burn thru a 1.0mm heavy pick per set.

Last edited:
I pick like a wuss, I'm old, my gray hair is falling out, I do not own tight pants, my guitars are shiny, I lack any tattoos whatsoever, I do not wear makeup, I have a black leather jacket but I'd never wear it to play guitar because of the zipper, and people STILL pay me to do this. And I'm not even that good!

Les, you didn't say anything about not wearing a dress, though. :girl:

Since I've been playing some lapsteel with one of the bands, I started just sharing a backup guitar with the other guitarist (it doesn't hurt that it's a smoking hot CU22 Soapy!). So, I take one guitar and the lapsteel. Here they are:

P22Front.jpg

IMG_20130713_095049_054_zpsa498fc5a.jpg

One of these days, I'm going to sit down with the STC and convert an SE into a PRS lapsteel. The only question is...

...what color sparkles!

I haven't had a guitar gig in ages, but I've always brought 2 basses with me on gigs... although I've only needed the backup once, and that was in 2001. Heh. I'm a P player and don't need different sounds that I can't get from my fingers or a pick.

I bring 2, one is usually a backup, and I rarely need it. There are times when I want the sound of the hollowbody or the piezo for a song or two and so it plays the role of backup for the rest of the set.

Haha Les, I salute anybody that can make any amount of money in music! I do it the hard way, two hours hauling equipment in and setting up, playing for 4 hours, then breaking down and loading out. But hey, at least I do get paid! I don't break strings either. I'm pretty hard on them from a bending standpoint, but I clean up my guitars and strings good at the end of each gig and I think that preserves my strings better.

I didn't start out gigging 5 guitars. It was a progression. I had one main guitar, '85 Schecter strat. I got a Gretsch for our 50s and rockabilly stuff. Then my dear wife bought me a Navarro SE for my birthday = 3, So I bought a 3-guitar rack. Next birthday comes along and wife buys me a Goldtop Les Paul. Always wanted one. Modded my rack to hold 4. In the meantime I'm getting positive comments from friends and fans about the different guitars and liking this one or that one so I realize my changing up guitar has actually become part of our "show" if you will. There's only three of us so every little bit helps. Then I pick up a Fender Splattercaster with a cool psychedelic vibe for our surf and 60s tunes (i.e. Hendrix) = 5. Rack modded again to hold 5. Voila. Now I have the CE22 so the Schecter is most likely going into retirement! Problem is now I really have the PRS bug again!!!

I take at least 2, usually just play 1 and have the other as a back up. If I get around to incorporating the SCHB II or start using multiple tunings, that will probably double to 4...which kind of hurts my back thinking about it. Will probably depend on the gig to some extent. Sometimes it just won't be worth the extra time and trouble.

Haha Les, I salute anybody that can make any amount of money in music!

And I salute all guys who get out there and gig!

I think the $ is all about the whole networking/hustling down work thing, that for some reason I seem to be OK at. And fear of starvation!

Les, you didn't say anything about not wearing a dress, though. :girl:

A deliberate omission on my part. ;)

Last edited:
Back