POLL: What's your preferred p'up selector?

What's your favourite?

• Total voters
Voted 5-way blade. Quicker than the rotary, but more options readily available than the 3-way. But I still need a push/pull (or rather push/push) for more options...

JoarE said:
Voted 5-way blade. Quicker than the rotary, but more options readily available than the 3-way. But I still need a push/pull (or rather push/push) for more options...

I'd be surprised if you didn't Joar :lol:

Dan-d-1985 said:
LSchefman said:
I voted 5 way blade. Having one dedicated control for all pickup switching/coil tapping works well for me. Also, the blade is a more practical solution than the rotary, since you don't grab the wrong knob, and you can easily feel where you are.

The one on my guitar feels very smooth and high-quality.

I like the 3-way setup on the SC models. A pull-up knob has always been a source of frustration, hard to grab onto and somewhat fiddly under my fingers (others seem to have no problem with this, so that's probably a personal dexterity issue).

I've moved to using CTS push/push pots from crazyparts.de Much nicer on the fly tapping and I don't need to try and grab, I just bump the pot with the heel of my hand. Much nicer.

Yeah, that is a lot easier than the pull-up, but I do like having everything on one switch. Have you had any push-push pots fail? I've heard they're prone to that problem.

ArtG said:
JoarE said:
And a couple of mini switches ;) :D
Nah, I like to keep the original look of the controls. Just add something under the hood. :)

LSchefman said:
Yeah, that is a lot easier than the pull-up, but I do like having everything on one switch. Have you had any push-push pots fail? I've heard they're prone to that problem.

I've not had a problem with the push/push's myself and these CTS's seem pretty sturdy. I've had more issues with push/pulls.

As always with these things, one bad batch could ruin your experiences so YMMV.

AaeCee said:
I know I'm in the minority, but darn it, if I said anything other than the 5-way rotary I'd be lying! Maybe it's primarily because those I've owned with it have sounded so good, but I love that quirky, sometimes difficult to grab, often hard to detect current position, strangely numbered, potentially frustrating............switch.
5 way rotary for me also. :D

No doubt, the 5-way is a classy look, and really harmonizes with the styling of the guitars. I can understand why PRS chose it, and it's probably less susceptible to environmental contamination (smoke, dirt, liquids) than the 5 way blade.

Still, sometimes simple and functional works really well, and for this it's kind of hard to beat a blade switch. But it's interesting to read all of the opinions.

If I were Paul Smith reading this, I'd be thinking, "No matter what we do, we're only going to please a fraction of the customers, so let's just do what we think works best, or put different things on different models and hope that works."

Back