Poll: What is your favorite PRS neck carve?

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by Buildermike, Feb 6, 2013.

?

What is your favorite PRS neck carve - Public Poll

1. Regular/Standard

4.8%
  2. Wide Thin

20.2%
  3. Wide Fat

42.9%
  4. DGT

7.1%
  5. Santana

1.2%
  6. Pattern

7.1%
  7. Pattern Regular

8.3%
  8. Pattern Thin

8.3%
  1. Twinfan

Twinfan 408 Sig Club President

I'm the opposite - Pattern, but Wide Fat is nice!

2. vchizzle

vchizzle Zomb!e Nine, DFZ

Wide fat but pattern suits me just fine too.

3. Gnal

Gnal New Member

I voted 'Wide Fat' though I wish there was a 'Wide Fat or Pattern' option. I have 4 PRS now, 2 with Wide Fat and 2 with Pattern. I honestly cannot feel a difference between the two. At least, not anything significant.

4. MykeWright

MykeWright Bridge constructor

Wide Fat, although a bit wider and even fatter would be better (possibly). Always liked the Santana carve but it felt more like a boatcarve/soft V to me.

5. Sage

Sage While you were partying I studied the guitar.

Wide thin, without a doubt. If I could get a HB II with a wide/thin neck I would.

6. geese_com

geese_com New Member

Pattern thin. Almost reminds me of my favorite neck of all time, the Music Man Axis.

7. Woundtight

Woundtight New Member

No DGT love?

I like'em all, but a DGT just feels like home.

8. Egads

Egads One, Two, THIRTEEN!

My first was a wide/thin and made me fall in love with PRS. It's the only w/t I've had. I'm fine with everything else, though.

Does anyone know how the "513" carve fits in with the Pattern series? My 513 is an '08 and the specs just said 513 carve.

9. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

I like Pattern and Pattern Regular best, but honestly, I've got no problem with any PRS neck carve.

10. John Beef

John Beef Opaque

Ugh, I hit Wide thin on accident, I meant to hit Wide fat. It's that kind of morning.

11. rugerpc

rugerpc A♥ hoards guitars ♥A Soldier 25, DFZ

From the PRS website:

PATTERN NECK SHAPES - CURRENT

Neck shapes have always been a high priority for PRS and a hallmark of our quality. A guitar should feel comfortable, like "home," as soon as you pick it up, and the neck is paramount to that connection. These new neck shapes reflect modern tooling and programming that allows us to even more preciously shape and consistently reproduce our necks.

Perfected after years of prototyping, the new "Pattern" neck is an updated Wide Fat PRS neck style based on Paul’s pre-factory design. These necks were found on the instruments built for Carlos Santana, Peter Frampton and Howard Leese from the late 70’s to the mid 80’s.

The new "Pattern Regular" neck shape is similar to the traditional PRS regular neck found on guitars made in the late 80’s at PRS’s former Virginia Avenue location.

The "Pattern Thin" neck is an updated version of PRS’s traditional Wide Thin neck.

FORMER NECK SHAPES

The Regular (sometimes called Standard) neck is a round neck shape that is 1/32 narrower and not quite as thick front to back as our Wide Fat neck.

The Wide Fat neck has the same nut width as the Wide Thin neck, but it has a deeper profile. Because of its strength and longer "heel", the Wide Fat neck produces warm tones with lots of sustain.

The Wide Thin neck has a thinner profile front to back than the Wide Fat. It is a favorite of fast players and lead guitar players.

WIDTH OF THE FRETBOARD AT THE NUT:

* Pattern, Wide Fat - 1 11/16"
    * Pattern Thin, Wide Thin - 1 11/16"
    * Pattern Regular, Regular - 1 21/32"

WIDTH AT THE BODY

* Pattern, Wide Fat - 2 1/4"
    * Pattern Thin, Wide Thin - 2 1/4"
    * Pattern Regular, Regular - 2 1/4"

NECK DEPTH AT THE NUT

* Pattern, Wide Fat - 27/32"
    * Pattern Thin, Wide Thin - 25/32"
    * Pattern Regular, Regular - 27/32"

Essentially there appears to be only 3 choices for neck carve.
    1. Pattern (Wide Fat)
    2. Pattern Thin (Wide Thin)
    3. Pattern Regular (Regular)

I can find no unique dimensions for "Santana" or "DGT" on "513" other than the Santana is 11 1/2" radius instead of 10" and has a scale length of 24 1/2 " instead of 25". Scale length of the 513 is 24 1/4 ". Does anyone have hard data on the other specs for the Santana or 513 neck carve?

Does anyone know the specs on the DGT neck carve? Or are they just one of the standard three (non 12 string) choices?

Whatever the unique dimensions of the Santana, DGT and 513, and lacking any other data, it would seem that:
    A vote for Pattern is also a vote for Wide Fat and vice versa. (28 as of this post)
    A vote for Pattern Thin is also a vote for Wide Thin and vice versa. (16 as of this post)
    A vote for Pattern Regular is also a vote for Regular and vice versa. (10 as of this post)

#31 rugerpc, Feb 8, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  12. rugerpc

rugerpc A♥ hoards guitars ♥A Soldier 25, DFZ

Yeah, I was reading that... I edited my post to include the website description of the current carves.

13. LJD

LJD New Member

The depth and width of the wide fat and pattern may be the same, but in regards to the shoulder carve... no way. I hope this poll/thread makes it's way back to the folks who design the necks. I hate the pattern carve compared to the wide fat, or wide thin as well. There, I said it.

14. ArtG

ArtG New Member

Satin finished WF feels just right in my hands

15. izzyizborn

izzyizborn New Member

I'll say W/F, only because it's the CU22 that I've been closest to over the years, but I enjoy the DGT, Pattern Regular, and Pattern thin just the same.

16. jrw32

jrw32 New Member

Pattern Thin. Used to be Wide-Thin, but I think the Pattern Thin's actually a little comfier...feels like there is just a hair more beef to the neck. Feels a lot like a Gibson 60s profile, which I like. Only Wide-Fat I've gotten along with was a McRosie, perhaps because of the unfinished rosewood neck.

17. David Grantham

David Grantham New Member

I like both Wide Fat and Pattern. Here's why I like Pattern. ( somebody pass the lotion ) lol. Ok name this chord?

[​IMG]

The JA15 also has incredible upper fret access!

#37 David Grantham, Feb 11, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  18. altoidman

altoidman aka McCartyman

Easy, wide fat.