POLL: Post PRS guitar buying/browsing habits.

Do you mostly look at PRS after buying a PRS?

• No, I consider several other guitar makers too.

Votes: 31 47.7%
  • Pretty much, yup, yah. Other guitars are dead to me now.

Votes: 34 52.3%

• Total voters

Daniel Elam

Just curious how your first PRS influences your guitar buying habits going forward. What’s the consensus? I love a good Strat and have a thing for Gretsch Jets as well. Just bought a CE 24 online, my 1st PRS. I am definitely smitten and really want to find a dealer to see what all they have to offer. But I still like my other guitars. In other words, I won’t be selling my others to fund another PRS. I guess that could change if I go to a dealer and find something magical!

I really want to try a 1 3/4 nut acoustic but can’t afford a PS so am looking at other brands. If PRS had the wider neck in SE or maybe core I’d look no further...

I’ve forced myself to consider other brands but no one else is making anything that really interests me right now. Most brands are either too vintage or too modern, I find that PRS is the perfect blend for me.

I bought mine in 2006 and have had a long, strong gaze at nothing but other PRS guitars (priced well out of my range). It has been my one & only until only a few years ago when I kinda got awoken to Fenders & their ability to scratch the single coil itch I developed.

There might be some acoustic builders that pique my interest occasionally, but electric, most always PRS. That begin said, the options for PRS acoustics are either mostly SE or PS. Not much middle ground, so I did not vote.

I'm sorta in between...
PRS has pretty much ruined me as far as what I now expect; I mean, their quality control is so far above the norm that I've come to expect perfection from any un-molested PRS....and likely dumping several hundred $$ into anything else I might get.

That being said, I've never gotten a bad guitar from Fender Japan. The PRS guitar in my avatar however, had been re-fretted and a new bone nut installed by the previous owner -very badly. The nut was poorly cut, and the action was a mile high with uneven frets. Not PRS' fault, and the well-respected store I got it from did disclose the work that had been done, but neglected to mention the resultant problems, and I, in my GAS-addled excitement at getting such a 'great deal' on an Artist package guitar, failed to ask, so that was on me. But it's great now :rolleyes:

I'm sorta in between...
PRS has pretty much ruined me as far as what I now expect; I mean, their quality control is so far above the norm that I've come to expect perfection from any un-molested PRS....and likely dumping several hundred $$ into anything else I might get.

That being said, I've never gotten a bad guitar from Fender Japan. The PRS guitar in my avatar however, had been re-fretted and a new bone nut installed by the previous owner -very badly. The nut was poorly cut, and the action was a mile high with uneven frets. Not PRS' fault, and the well-respected store I got it from did disclose the work that had been done, but neglected to mention the resultant problems, and I, in my GAS-addled excitement at getting such a 'great deal' on an Artist package guitar, failed to ask, so that was on me. But it's great now :rolleyes:

You've said it all in your signature line...:)

My PRS SE Custom 24 is my pride and joy, but I would never pass up an ibanez 7 or 8 string or a super strat or a chunky les Paul or a vintage strat! I got to play a 1961 and 1963 stratocaster, both in tobacco burst, 22,500 each, 45,000 dollars for the set. Awesome guitars, got BIG John Frusciante vibes from both of them. The 61 sounded great but the 63 played better. I've gotten to play a 76 black beauty Les Paul. That store also has a 67,500 pre factory 1984 Santana model and it was from the same batch that had the same tree that was used on Santana's own model. Crazy that people will pay that much for vintage guitars, but it's worth it. Nothing will EVER recreate 50 years of aged pickups, wood and so much more I could get into.

I just don’t care about other guitar brands. The big guys guitars aren’t as well made as my PRSi. I don’t look at the small builders because I’ve gotten exactly what I want to hear from my PRS.

I look at other guitars, but I don't bite. A big part of it for me is the PRS consistency. Even with the SEs, I feel much more secure in buying one than getting, say, an Epiphone. I know Epis are great if you find "a good one". But I feel totally comfortable buying an SE from a reputable dealer online, without having to sift through a bunch of them.

I do get the allure of vintage guitar designs, and I played reissue Strats for years, among other guitars. But when it comes down to the playing experience, I'm just a fan of the 10 inch radius neck and 25 inch scale.

I picked the PRS only vote but it really doesn't describe my attitude. I'm open to others, but I have a LP and I have a Strat. That pretty much covers my lust for other makers. I only search for PRSi but if a smoking deal popped up that had another brand on the headstock, I would not be opposed to getting it. My problem is my GAS quotient is pretty low. There isn't much in the other camps that excite me. I have what I want so it takes a lot to get me interested.

Back