Polishing Bird Inlay

srichardson

What do most of you use to polish the Bird inlays? I didn't realize mine was so dull until I bought my new PRS Custom and saw them sitting side by side..

....er, is that a thing? Have I been missing out?

I tried googling it and the closest thing I found was the Urban Dictionary definition for a Polish Chicken....

Then there was a link to talk about beak care and cuttlebones...

Then I thought maybe it was a sex thing, but nothing showed up between frottage and sounding....

So, no. I don’t think this is a thing.

I tried googling it and the closest thing I found was the Urban Dictionary definition for a Polish Chicken....

Then there was a link to talk about beak care and cuttlebones...

Then I thought maybe it was a sex thing, but nothing showed up between frottage and sounding....

So, no. I don’t think this is a thing.

We need links.

My recent (2017] Core models either have shell, or it’s the best looking synthetic I’ve ever seen. Looks as nice as my PS stuff either way.

Internet forums aren't the most reliable source of information so who knows! That said I was going off what Shawn said in quite an old thread (link provided above). Shawn will perhaps tell us what is used today. It also depends on the OP's guitar - if it's an SE then it'l have a different material than if it's a special / limited edition Core or PS. My guess is still the OP's guitars feature different materials, whatever they might be.

Last edited:
Internet forums aren't the most reliable source of information so who knows! That said I was going off what Shawn said in quite an old thread (link provided above). Shawn will perhaps tell us what is used today. It also depends on the OP's guitar - if it's an SE then it'l have a different material than if it's a special / limited edition Core or PS. My guess is still the OP's guitars feature different materials, whatever they might be.

Yup. I’m just guessing in any case.

But you’re right, they have used a variety of materials, even a variety of shell. And heck, one of my PS guitars has mammoth ivory inlays. You just never know with all this stuff.

I'm not sure I would recommend a polish on the fretboard, but fretboard cleaner/lemon oil seems to do the trick really well. The lemon oil from D'Adarrio/Planet Waves is amazing at cleaning and conditioning rosewood/ebony fretboards and does a great job to brighten up those birds. Disclaimer: don't use actual lemon oil.

The old ones used abalone, but there was a period in the early 90's where they used some mother of pearl. Somewhere in the 90's they switched to abalam, which is made of thin, laminated sheets of abalone.

There was a point around 2012 where there were issues around importing/exporting shell materials, so those guitars have the "dirt birds" which were corian outline with some other synthetic material in the center. After that issue cleared up, they kept the corian outlines, but with abalam for the centers.

There are plenty of exceptions of course, but that's the general deal with USA Customs at least.

To my knowledge, the SE guitars use come kind of plastic material and not real shell.

The old ones used abalone, but there was a period in the early 90's where they used some mother of pearl. Somewhere in the 90's they switched to abalam, which is made of thin, laminated sheets of abalone.

There was a point around 2012 where there were issues around importing/exporting shell materials, so those guitars have the "dirt birds" which were corian outline with some other synthetic material in the center. After that issue cleared up, they kept the corian outlines, but with abalam for the centers.

There are plenty of exceptions of course, but that's the general deal with USA Customs at least.

To my knowledge, the SE guitars use come kind of plastic material and not real shell.

Sadly the Forum emoji are missing the big yellow thumb for me to use - but thats great, thanks:) I recall my year 2000 Santana 2 had what I probably eroniously though of as reconstituted Paua, so probably abalam.

The Santana II was a top shelf guitar. They had Brazilian boards and paua inlay.

The birds were very nice. I'll have to add some pictures to the inlay thread if I can find any suitable. Agree it defo had a Brazilian board too.

Last edited:
It would be nice to have PRS tech advice regarding the original request.

Both of my PRS have some inlays that are dull (all seems made of shell).

Look at the difference between Peregrine Falcon and Marsh Hawk of my 2007 SCT. So far only the Falcon looks more dull than the other birds.
e4gn.jpg

And some dots on my 1995 CE22 are even more dull:
yab7.jpg

Any cleaning / polishing advice is welcome :)

It would be nice to have PRS tech advice regarding the original request.

Both of my PRS have some inlays that are dull (all seems made of shell).

Look at the difference between Peregrine Falcon and Marsh Hawk of my 2007 SCT. So far only the Falcon looks more dull than the other birds.
e4gn.jpg

And some dots on my 1995 CE22 are even more dull:
yab7.jpg

Any cleaning / polishing advice is welcome :)

I think that gives your guitars extra mojo in my book.

I'm not sure I would recommend a polish on the fretboard, but fretboard cleaner/lemon oil seems to do the trick really well. The lemon oil from D'Adarrio/Planet Waves is amazing at cleaning and conditioning rosewood/ebony fretboards and does a great job to brighten up those birds. Disclaimer: don't use actual lemon oil.

I think I use 'Dr. Stringfellows' Lemon Oil fretboard cleaner.

This is quite a coincidence because last week a buddy of mine said he had acquired a rosewood desk and asked how to care for it. My reply was that quality guitar fretboards and necks usually required a lemon oil cleaner, but for desks it may be easier to simply use something like Pledge spray cleaner and not worry about it. Guitars are different, though, and a fretboard cleaner that contains a lemon oil in it is appropriate.

I already cleaned my guitar, when I got them (and trust me they really needed to be cleaned), with dAndrea lemon oil (with tooth brush and micro fibres cloth). It's good for cleaning and moisturing the rosewood itself, but it doesn't anything on inlay except cleaning.

I even wonder if the rosewood of the CE22 would be happy to have something more consistant than the lemon oil, because it looks "tired"...

So to me the subject remain un answered.

On the other hand, I agree with Alnus, the real road worn finish is pretty cool. Brand new PRS looks too classy for me, but a little worn they looks more like rock machine

I saw on one forum the recommendation to polish the inlays with 0000 steel wool until clean, wiping down with lighter fluid, the reconditioning the fretboard with lemon oil or PRS Conditioner.

Don't know as though it would work, and I don't like the thought of those steel wool fragments on my fretboard. Maybe a super fine Emory paper (4000 grit or better) would clean them up without destroying the board? Stewmac has an assortment you can get for polishing fret wire.

I don't think anybody has said so in so many words, but:

This is the first time in better than 25 years of haunting online guitar venues that I've ever seen this question.

AFAIK, polishing birds has never been a thing. Cleaning the fretboard, yes. Shining up the inlays, not as such.

For me PRS is a special case, because they use shell as inlay material. For example Gibson perloid just get yellowish when it ages, but after all it's a polymer. I am pretty sure shell should not be considered the same. I wonder if the shell does die or oxidize irreversibly. After all it's an organic material. I am still curious to have PRS advice... (I don't know if PRS tech guys interact often on this forum)

@ Wakester I already tried car polishing sand paper (1500 or 2000) on 1 inlay of my CE22 and it didn't change anything (but I didn't insist that much). I use 0000 steel wool for frets polishing and cleanup (the frets of the SCT were greenish when I receive it o_O ), but I use making tape all over fretboard and pickups, in order to avoid any steel wool fragments where I can't remove them (magnet is a good way to catch this steel dust).

Back