Polish for V12.

László

Too Many Notes
No, not Polish citizens for V12 engines. I mean, guitar polish for V12 finishes.

For years I've used the very high quality polishes put out by Meguiar's meant for car finishes, but they work great polishing out stuff on PRS' older finishes.

I have not had to polish out anything on my V12 finishes so far that I can recall.

I am out of Meguiar's and might want to try Virtuoso polish, to have something on hand just in case. Here's the thing: Virtuoso claims that it works not by using abrasives, but via the magic of chemistry. That kinda worries me.

If that's the case, then either it somehow must melt the finish like a solvent, or chemically bond with the finish of the instrument. Well, OK, this may work, but I'm reluctant to be the guinea pig for how it works with V12.

Does anyone use this stuff with their V12 finish? What have the results been?

Hello Les, yep, I do.
I use it on all of my guitars.
My Gibson SG with the nitro, my SEs with the polyurethane, and my new 408 with the V12.

When I got the 408 it was not super slick, but I used the Virtuoso polish on it shortly after I got it, and it is so slippery, I really have to hang onto it.
Have not noticed any problems with mine since using it.
And that was with the Planet Waves 100% cotton cloths to put it on and a separate one to rub it out.
I did buy a PRS microfiber cloth, but have not got around to trying it out yet.

Here are a few a few weeks after I got the 408 after using the Virtuoso.

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

I use the PRS polish and cleaner on both of mine... that stuff cleans like the Dickens! Best stuff I have ever used on my guitars... ever!

I use the PRS polish and cleaner on both of mine... that stuff cleans like the Dickens! Best stuff I have ever used on my guitars... ever!

I use the PRS cleaner, and it's great stuff. But I've been wondering about nonabrasive polishes like the Virtuoso. And it'd be nice to have a polish I can use on my Nitro finished PRS acoustic if I need it.

CoreyT, the slipperiness test is passed with any decent polish. In fact, back in my car show days, I used to test the effectiveness of my polishing by throwing a towel onto the hood of the car. If it slipped right off instead of sticking, it meant the finish was slick.

But with guitars, I'm not sure I want slippery. I'd hate to drop mine while handling it! ;)

What I was wondering about is the polish's effectiveness on very light swirl marks and whether it has any adverse effect on the finish. You've answered the second question - it apparently works safely. So...how effective is it with very light swirl marks? I mean the kind of surface stuff you can't even see unless you hold the guitar to the light at a certain angle.

Yeah, I'm that OCD.

Last edited:
Les, no swirl marks on my guitars.
Since I do not gig out, I baby mine.

Les, there is another new polish on the market made by a famous auto wax company.
The name escapes me now.

Sekunda, that was pretty funny.

It came to me after I got up Les to get ready for work.
Zymol, have seen their ads in the mags.
http://zymolmusic.com/#

Their site uses Flash, so you have to dig through the menus to find it.

I have never used their automotive stuff, to hard to use as you have to leave the stuff on overnight in one of the steps.
I am a firm believer is using the Porter Cable sander and Griots products such as their claybar, and the #3 polish and Best Of Show wax with the Porter Cable orbital.

I have used the Virtuoso polish for a few years now. No swirl marks , no slippery neck and cleans up really good. I also find it helps to repel dust.

I think I'll give it a shot. For me it's a "just in case" thing to have polish around. The PRS cleaner works great to keep 'em shiny when they need that, and I only use polishes if I notice a problem. I kinda wish PRS would offer a polish for nitro guitars; it'd make me feel confident that it wasn't going to ruin my PS.

Mostly I just use a damp microfiber cloth and dry 'em with a clean one, no polishes, etc. at all.

I have only used the PRS branded products. Let us know how it goes. Have fun.

Les, it is different with the Virtuoso stuff.
The cleaner is what will take off salt, sweat, dirt, swirls.

The polish is to make it shiny and slick.

I have never used their cleaner or other brands of cleaners on my guitars, as they have never gotten filthy enough to deep clean.

I have never used their cleaner or other brands of cleaners on my guitars, as they have never gotten filthy enough to deep clean.
I deep cleaned my filthy guitar and it wasn't the same. I had to struggle with it until it got filthy again.

Back