Plectrum

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jorj, Aug 27, 2014.

1. Jorj

Jorj New Member

Been using those yellow, nylon, Dunlop Tortex picks for a few years now. But after arriving and setting up at a gig, I discovered a pick on the stage, left behind by another guitar player before me. I quickly claimed it as my own. Material very much like a tiddly-wink from my childhood. And fairly stiff. I swear...I dig the attack much better. Tiddly-winky tone on my 2005 McCarty. I now have a new favorite plectrum. Although I prefer to use one of the rounded edges instead of the pointy part. Interested in what which picks (if any) others use. [​IMG]

#1 Jorj, Aug 27, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  2. maxtuna26

maxtuna26 New Member

I use to play with the rounded part too. But after I switched to smaller picks like the Tortex Jazz, I've been using the pointy end ever since. I'm now settled on the Ibanez Paul Gilbert picks. I love the size of it. It's smaller than the standard size, but bigger than the Jazz. I also love the feel of the celluloid material more than the Tortex material nowadays. They just have a more rounded attack, the Tortex picks respond really fast, but they sound too scratchy when I'm doing low E gallops.

Besides, they look great with the pearloid textures too!

[​IMG]

3. Jorj

Jorj New Member

Key words... Tiddly-winky tone.

4. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

I haven't thought about fiddly-winks since I was a little kid! Great stuff!

I use Blue Chip picks, they're really great sounding and you can get them in a ton of shapes and thicknesses. They're expensive, but last a very long time, and the tone is really the best I've found in 47 years of playing.

5. carpincowboy

carpincowboy New Member

I use a little companies called plecpicker. Glow in the dark. Nice attack and i don't drop them as often as i did with the dunlop tortex i used before. Plus their cheaper which is a bonus

6. NomadMike

NomadMike New Member

After using Herco picks for decades I find myself using Tusq picks these days.

7. gball

gball New Member

Ah, Dunlop Gels! They are my favorites - been using the yellow XLs for years.

8. xjbebop

xjbebop Yippy ki yay!

9. jimfisher

jimfisher Guitar Geezer

^^^^^^^^^^

Love these!
    Jim

10. francric

francric New Member

V-Picks here.................................

11. markintime

markintime Wood Grain Devotee

JD Dunlop Jazz III, 1.14mm. I like 'em stiff. Made one out of some scrap ivory, works very well, good attack.

12. alantig

alantig SSBMA

A Red Bear I got from jfb, V-Picks, Dunlop Ultex Sharps, Wegen Bluegrass picks, Jazz III XLs. At least as the primaries.

13. sleary

sleary New Member

I use gravity picks, love them....

14. jfine

jfine New Member

I started out in the early '60's with bare thumb and fingers on a nylon-string acoustic--I had a folk teacher, but I wanted to play rock 'n' roll. After I got an electric in '64, and tearing up my fingers on the steel strings (didn't know about light-gauge strings then!), I started using Fender thin picks, and fingers too. I used to break those thins all the time, and one day I discovered thin blue picks called MB's, with a textured grip molded into the rounded edge. I kind of liked the spitty attack I got by picking with the grip end, but they were still too thin to allow for much picking speed. I used Herco mediums for a while in the late '60's, and then at a jam session, someone handed me a nylon rounded 3-corner pick, a JD I think it was, about an .80mm--and I was immediately twice as fast, and the pick sounded a lot like my fingernails. Lesson learned--the right pick makes a huge difference, and what works for someone else may not work for you. I got a big bag of Clayton .88mm nylon rounded triangle picks about 1980, and I'm still using them! And Jim Dunlop (Senior) gave me a bag of those green Tortex rounded-triangles in the mid-'90's--they're good too! On acoustic, I like those rounded-triangle clear V-Picks--gotta get some more of those...

15. Therinx

Therinx DDDDDD

16. mezzio

mezzio The Force is weak in ^^

I'm using Dava picks, not the rock control, just the delrin or gel with the rubber grippy piece on it. I was using rock control for a while, but got tired of "Modding" them (grinding down the black plastic to a smooth transition of the red picking surface).

I do want to try Gravity or V-picks eventually... hey, anyone wanna trade a gravity for some davas?! Lol

17. xjbebop

xjbebop Yippy ki yay!

I tried a couple of gravity's... I like the feel of the Vpicks better...
    Ymmv...

#17 xjbebop, Aug 28, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  18. ]-[@n$0Ma☩!©

]-[@n$0Ma☩!© Der Hans der kann's

I use Gravity picks too. I love 'em.

19. jfb

jfb Plank Owner

I rock Red Bears Style No. 9 in XH. No mods to them. I like them fresh off the farm.

20. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

What material are the gravity picks made from? Is it a lucite kind of thing?