Please Make a McCarty 594 in the SE line. Pretty please.

a 594 is on my list...but I can't justify spending that type of money on any guitar, unfortunately.
I'd love an s2 or se version...single or double cut....the best guitar I've ever played was a 594 doulbecut artist...couldn't afford the 2800.00 used that it would
have taken to procure it....dang it was nice...played through a Mesa Lonestar into a Marshal 4x12....HEAVEN!

So I was watching a YouTube, Phillip McKnight, and someone asked about an S2 594 and his reply was such that I inferred that he believed there was a definite maybe that it would happen. He didn't come out and say it but the way he said "he couldn't say that it was in the works" it sounded like it is probably in the works. I have no idea if he has any actual inside information or just blowing smoke.

Go to 41:48 for his response

a 594 is on my list...but I can't justify spending that type of money on any guitar, unfortunately.
I'd love an s2 or se version...single or double cut....the best guitar I've ever played was a 594 doulbecut artist...couldn't afford the 2800.00 used that it would
have taken to procure it....dang it was nice...played through a Mesa Lonestar into a Marshal 4x12....HEAVEN!

I am certainly not dissing the SE or S2 line but I very much doubt an SE/S2 version of the 594 would feel and sound like a Core 594 - especially not if its specced differently from the core as a Wood Library or better version of the 594. The SE/S2 models would no doubt be based on the regular core, ie a Mahogany body and neck with a maple cap and rosewood fretboard - however it will certainly have a veneer on the SE version and lack the carve that the core has. I can't see it having the quality hardware either - a 'cheaper' version of the bridge and saddle pieces - cheaper pots etc too. Its to be expected as this is the case with all other SE/S2 versions of 'core' models.

Again not dissing the SE or S2 line but there is a difference between an SE Cu24, S2 Cu24 and a core Cu24 (I left out the CE as I doubt PRS would consider a bolt on neck for a guitar that is based on a historic Gibson LP). Whether it would even receive the Pattern Vintage neck carve or not, I don't know. They could use an existing SE 22 fret type neck that is 'closest' to the Vintage carve - maybe a DGT neck to save some money for example.

Like the 594, an SE version would be compared with other 'Les Paul' type budget guitar - Epiphone, Harley Benton, Chapman, ESP etc - even some Gibson branded Les Pauls are in the same price bracket (like the Studio) etc and, as I said before, there is a LOT more competition for this more classic model. I know there is some competition for the SE Custom 24 (like the Harley Benton CST-24) but there are fewer models and PRS were certainly the 'original' design for this where as an SE 594 is copying a design from the 50's. Epiphone, for example, have a 'tribute plus' version with Gibson PU's, split coils, locking tuners and a hard case that is in the same space that PRS would be trying to occupy with an SE version of the 594. Apart from the iconic 24 and 22 fret (Custom 22/24) PRS designed guitars, as well as the Standard 245 SE, the rest are all 'signature' models inc the Tremonti and Zach Myers which are very 'Les Paul' type guitars at their heart and even the Bernie too can still be found.

Even though I do think its a much tougher market at the SE and even S2 price range for yet another 'Les Paul' type guitar - even if they stick to the Double Cut shape to be more PRS shaped and separate themselves from all the rest, I could see PRS maybe try to 'muscle in'. Whether I think they should or not is a different matter - there is a part of me that says if you want a 'vintage' LP at that price point, buy an Epiphone or maybe even a 'Vintage' (brand), also what about their Signature models that are similar too - there are numerous options available without PRS adding another. There is another part of me that says PRS could and perhaps should compete as its been a popular model. They can offer something less traditional (Double Cut, birds, headstock...) as well as the 'brand' which is synonymous with 'quality'.

Its been a very popular guitar so they could make an SE variation - maybe by making them in 'limited runs' or have some limited edition versions (like they have done in the past with different wood tops or baked maple necks for example), they could test the viability and interest. I still believe though that an SE version, whilst it would be a great guitar, it won't be as good as the Core (like the SE Cu24 or Paul's guitars isn't as good as their core counterparts) and its not as if you, as a customer, isn't spoilt for choice with numerous LP types based on the same 'vintage' models and tones that the PRS is - it may end up sounding more similar to one of the Epiphone models than the core version does because its built in the same way, with the same type of woods etc - the major difference being the brand name, the bird inlays and headstock - maybe a double cut, PRS shaped version too to distance itself from the numerous alternatives...

So I was watching a YouTube, Phillip McKnight, and someone asked about an S2 594 and his reply was such that I inferred that he believed there was a definite maybe that it would happen. He didn't come out and say it but the way he said "he couldn't say that it was in the works" it sounded like it is probably in the works. I have no idea if he has any actual inside information or just blowing smoke.

Go to 41:48 for his response

I saw that same vid and wondered about that as well. I think an S2 594 would be killer only if they did a fat neck on it. Or, just an S2 245 would be awesome.

Back