Please help ID my CU24

blackened302

Hi all!

I'm new to this forum but not new to PRS guitars. I've had quite a few, mostly SEs, over the last few years and they are by far my guitars of choice!

I acquired this CU24 about a year or so ago and would love to know more about it.

10247401_765687250117935_3617993320739046896_n.jpg

10968022_922934424393216_1434154483_n.jpg

10965814_922934371059888_2015303780_n.jpg

The serial says it's a 2005 and it has a "20th" truss rod cover but I'm not sure if it is a true 20th anniversary. I traded a USA Stratocaster for this guitar and the owner claimed it was a one-off, though I doubt that. I did not receive any case candy with the trade, unfortunately.

Obviously, it's a one-piece mahogany body and no maple top. I've never seen another PRS like it and I've not been able to find any info other than 2005 Custom 24.

I'd appreciate any insight anyone can offer!

-Paul

Last edited:
I'm not a huge expert but I'll try lol

20th anniversary had birds and if it was a private stock, it'd be a 10 top . The number 10 would be stamped on the headstock. Probably just a 20th anniversary truss rod cover. Easiest way to find something out is, put the neck pickup and look at the mod cat. Prs customer service could really open the door on what you want to know.
A guess is hfs pickups ....

One thing that sends a red flag ...the owl on the back of the headstock...I've never seen that before either.

Prs did make a cu24 that was all mahogany, I do remember that . I almost traded for one lol

Signs point to it being a 2005 Standard 24. There wasn't a "25th Anniversary Guitar" per se. The special birds were an option and I think all guitars had the "25th" truss rod cover.

They did do some satin finished Standard models around that time, but I don't remember years or if it was in addition to, or replacement for, the gloss models.

If it was a Private Stock, it would be labeled as such on the back of the headstock. Not that it isn't nice (it is!) but there's nothing leading me to think it's PS. Artist Relations, or someone else with an "in" with the company, maybe. The owl is the wildcard. Is it inlaid mother of pearl? Or is it a sticker of some sort? Can't tell from the picture.

Anyway, all will be revealed by pulling the pickups and looking in the routs. Also the modcat or sending the serial number to PRS will be informative.

Yep, 2005 Standard 24. The 20th truss rod cover is legit. If they have the 20th Anni package the truss rod cover has a white paint in the 20th etching. If they were made in 2005 they have the same truss rod cover but not the white inside so yours is a 2005 but not the 20th Anni package. I'm going to guess the owl is a sticker or if it is MOP it is aftermarket but who knows?

20th anniversary had birds and if it was a private stock, it'd be a 10 top. The number 10 would be stamped on the headstock.

Good try. But it needs correction.

A Private Stock has a Private Stock grade top, not a ten, and the top isn't marked as a 10 or any other grade (neither is an Artist Package with its artist grade top). However a PS will have "Private Stock" and Paul's handwritten signature on the back of the headstock.

Also, with most later 10 tops the 10s are written in gold pen, and not stamped unless the neck is an unfinished wood, like Rosewood.

That's a really nice 2005 CU24 Standard, however, and it looks great!

And rest assured... You came out like a bandit on the deal if the strat was a standard or even deluxe

Good try. But it needs correction.

A Private Stock has a Private Stock grade top, not a ten, and the top isn't marked as a 10 or any other grade (neither is an Artist Package with its artist grade top). However a PS will have "Private Stock" and Paul's handwritten signature on the back of the headstock.

Also, with most later 10 tops the 10s are written in gold pen, and not stamped unless the neck is an unfinished wood, like Rosewood.

That's a really nice 2005 CU24 Standard, however, and it looks great!

Yes I have a 10 top and it's written in....

Thanks for the replies, everyone! To clear up some questions:

- the Owl on the back of the headstock is just an inlay sticker
- the pickups are the HFS -- pulled them to check, but didn't think of checking any tags taped underneath, will do on next re-string!
- the finish is a high-gloss, not satin

I'm curious as to what it's value is?

To be fair, the Strat I traded this for was a Strat Plus, those typically go for $1000-1400 used. Thanks again for the help!

-Paul

Thanks for the replies, everyone! To clear up some questions:

- the Owl on the back of the headstock is just an inlay sticker
- the pickups are the HFS -- pulled them to check, but didn't think of checking any tags taped underneath, will do on next re-string!
- the finish is a high-gloss, not satin

I'm curious as to what it's value is?

To be fair, the Strat I traded this for was a Strat Plus, those typically go for $1000-1400 used. Thanks again for the help!

-Paul

we are not supposed to discus prices on here but you did fine.

we are not supposed to discus prices on here but you did fine.

From what I understand we're not supposed to discuss retail pricing of "new"/current models. This particular guitar falls outside that classification - you can't get a CU24 Standard any more except via the used market, so we're good to talk about that all day long, AFAIK.

And yeah, the OP got a good deal.

Yeah, eBay or Reverb.com.

I would say that guitar is worth about $1500 to $1800, but as always, any object is only worth as much as someone is willing to pay. Tomorrow, one could sell for $3K on eBay just because it perfectly scratches someone's itch and they have the funds, while the next day the exact same guitar may not sell at $1200.

Back