Played a couple of Private Stock, no biggie...

Bookface

Pretty nice. Yeah, pretty nice...

Actually I wasn't as wowed as I expected to be. I've been talking about a PS with the guys at my local store (GuitarGuitar in the UK) for a while, and so they called me when these two landed. A 594 and a Custom 24, and it was very interesting to compare the two. Both had the same pickups (58/15 LTs), and the CU24 had a maple neck. Of course both were beautifully set up and pretty much flawless in their execution, but the difference from a regular model did not seem as big as going from say a regular factory strat to a custom shop one.

Of the two, I preferred the CU24. The way it played felt slightly nicer, and the maple neck gave it a bit of extra punch and clarity, but not so much that playing higher up the neck felt overly bright. I was split on the necks, I did prefer the pattern vintage neck on the 594 for chords, but I've never liked asymmetrical necks for lead, and I still don't. The CU24 had a pattern regular neck which was fine, but I prefer them slightly chunkier.

So given my musing on ordering one it was instructive and provided some excellent questions to ask when the time comes. And if you're wondering, my current basic spec is now a CU24 with maple neck but 594 style electrics.

And don't worry, I know you're all only reading this for one thing. Here's the pics.

4Fn3bwn.jpg

wC9zEpb.jpg

XlUJjhD.jpg

73UIWF3.jpg

Last edited:
I’ve only played one private stock. I agree that the difference between a core module wasn’t so much. That is saying a lot for the core models. However, beautiful wood and flawless execution is certainly something I would buy if I had the money. I would imagine that there are subtleties in sound and feel that are “better” in a private stock but core models are so well done. The ability to tailor it to your needs or get something one of a kind would be great and exciting!

I’ve always thought that the art of Private Stock was putting all that prettiness into a guitar that still performed like the core model! I’ve played drop-dead gorgeous guitars that had dropped dead in the process of “gilding the lily.” While I’m in no danger of ordering a PS, it’s nice to know they play and sound as good as a core model! That would have been my chief concern.

I just received 5 days ago, the first PS I ever touched ( Wolfy MooNAMM ). When my #1 girl asked me if it was all I had dreamed, I told her that aesthetically, it was beautiful, but playing wise, did not do much for me compared to my core CU24 or my WL 594 HBII. I do like the feel of the Hormigo wood fret board on Wolfy. I also like that it has a stop tail bridge setup on a CU24 model as I never use a tremolo (but if I do need to trem something, I have my core CU24). Long and short is, I would say 90% (maybe more) for this PS compared to my core models is aesthetics IMO! But boy, what a looker!!! Distracting when I am playing! Best thing for me is the combination of 24 frets with stop tail and same pickups as my HBII (58/15, PS has TCI, HBII does not). If it ends up hanging on the wall as art one day, I am fine with that as it is better looking than a lot of art I have seen selling for similar prices! For now, no case queens here, it is going to get a lot of action!!!

Happy pickin'!
MW

The reason that folks purchase a Private Stock vary so wildly that it's really hard to explain why people elect to spend the money on one; especially when you are talking about buying a new one (either through dealer stock or specifying a build). Personally I've been fortunate enough to own some Private Stock guitars and I can tell you that my first was pure lust over the overall aesthetic of the guitar (I mean it did end up as a cover girl for the Private Stock calendar so the folks at PRS also agreed that it was a stunner)...but while it was a great guitar I also felt it just wasn't sonically different from my other gear. After that I went on a bit of a gear purge and really tried to settle in on gear that either covered a range a didn't have and if required, a build configuration difference that I thought offset the cost of the guitar. That quest led to some other custom builds and while I didn't really bond with one of them, the other 2 have been keepers for me:
  1. SC594, RW neck and Semi-Hollow (no f-hole, which tweeks the output / tone)
  2. SC594 / Hollowbody 1 hybrid (really don't like the extra brightness that the maple back adds and the 594 switching configuration is just "home" for me)
I realize for some people these general configurations wouldn't justify the money they commanded, but to me they did. Don't get me wrong...if a WL run had the specs that I wanted then I would've gone for one of them, but overall I got sick of waiting and there for a dealer to make a run that fit the bill.

I totally get what most of you are saying, you're paying for the ability to customise the guitar to exactly what you want, as well as top shelf aesthetics as far as wood goes. For some that will be worth it, for others it won't. But yes, playing-wise there was very little difference between them and my HBII.

The top one is redwood, good spot. It was actually a little bland in person, I felt it could have used some colour to it to highlight the figure. It may not be super obvious in the pic but the binding on the neck and headstock is also redwood. The top on the CU24 was stunning but...very brown.

I totally get what most of you are saying, you're paying for the ability to customise the guitar to exactly what you want, as well as top shelf aesthetics as far as wood goes. For some that will be worth it, for others it won't. But yes, playing-wise there was very little difference between them and my HBII.

The top one is redwood, good spot. It was actually a little bland in person, I felt it could have used some colour to it to highlight the figure. It may not be super obvious in the pic but the binding on the neck and headstock is also redwood. The top on the CU24 was stunning but...very brown.

I don’t think that Redwood takes a stain like maple does, which is why it isn’t ordinarily applied. @11top would probably advise better.

I’ll make sure I’m clear that I’m not bashing or belittling the PS guitars. I would buy one in an instant if I could. Such beautiful guitars and special attention in craftsmanship.

I was split on the necks, I did prefer the pattern vintage neck on the 594 for chords, but I've never liked asymmetrical necks for lead, and I still don't. The CU24 had a pattern regular neck which was fine, but I prefer them slightly chunkier.
Sounds like a Pattern neck will get you what you want. Take a look at the Private Stock Friday post from last week. You might see something in there that looks interesting.

I'll be the odd man out. I have several PS guitars. I think they sound a play a little different.

Not saying they're somehow better. Just saying they're a bit different. However, they have hand picked wood, and different fretboards. So there's that.

You have to live with a guitar to completely understand what it can do. I've lived with my PS guitars for at least 4 years, some more. And I have Core models I love as well. But there's something about my PS models that's hard to put into words.

I like them more. Perhaps that's in my head, or perhaps they're just more suited to my needs. Who knows?

I figure it this way: Each guitar is a universe unto itself. What works, works. What seems superfluous, do away with.

I’ll make sure I’m clear that I’m not bashing or belittling the PS guitars. I would buy one in an instant if I could. Such beautiful guitars and special attention in craftsmanship.
I echo what Turkeyhead has said, not trying to diss PS instruments. I do not regret purchasing Wolfy and it will be from my cold dead hands that it will need to be pried!!!

I'll be the odd man out. I have several PS guitars. I think they sound a play a little different.

Not saying they're somehow better. Just saying they're a bit different. However, they have hand picked wood, and different fretboards. So there's that.

You have to live with a guitar to completely understand what it can do. I've lived with my PS guitars for at least 4 years, some more. And I have Core models I love as well. But there's something about my PS models that's hard to put into words.

I like them more. Perhaps that's in my head, or perhaps they're just more suited to my needs. Who knows?

I figure it this way: Each guitar is a universe unto itself. What works, works. What seems superfluous, do away with.
Adding to Les's statement, I do agree that each one is it's own universe. The Hormigo fretboard on mine is becoming quite intriguing. I am starting to fall in love with it!! Playing it last night, I was thinking it felt like a soft slippery sheet of glass. Smooth as glass, and slippery, but yet a wood like density to it. Considering taking the shine off the neck though to get a smoother feel back there!

I intend on having at least one PS built to my specs, but that will be for the most part in an attempt to get the designs that dance in my brain, onto one (or more) of these gems! I believe I could satisfy all my sound and functionality needs with core, WL and Artist models, but not my visions!

Happy pickin'!
MW

A good guitar should always make you want to pick it up and play it. Whether that's through the way it plays, the way it sounds, or just the way it looks. Of course ideally it will be all 3, and that may be where PS really shines.You get to spec out what will make you want to play it.

Moondog, that hormigo fretboard is really intriguing. The two above were Brazilian rosewood, and frankly I don't see what the fuss is about. The hormigo looks a bit different while still being really classy.

Back