Plate Voltage of HXDA?

Tucson Thump

Mint Heavy Relic
Anyone know? Is there a difference between the 30 watt and 50 watt models?

I thought I'd ask here before calling CustSvc.

I have some Mesa Boogie 450 EL 34 tubes made by Siemens, and the Mesa info says the plate voltage should not exceed 450 volts.

Thanks for whatever info you can provide.

Mark

Came across this old thread

PRS Amp Bias Settings

Anything anyone has to add would be helpful.
I’ve had a set of those tubes in one of my 50 watt HXDAs for a good bit of time now, and they’ve been great. I was going to mention the voltage I remembered, but then thought I might be thinking of another amp I retubed a few months back. I’d hate to be wrong. I’ll try to test one of mine this week and get a good number.

Get yourself one of these; one of the functions is to measure a plate voltage - which is crucial to calculate a proper bias voltage. It's $100, but the money is well spent. It's the cost of the tech biasing your amp for you, so not much money if you look at it from the right angle.

https://www.eurotubes.com/store/pc/Bias-Probes-and-Multimeters-c6.htm

The plate voltage will vary from amp to amp; it's never the same. The wall voltage will influence it. It's best to measure it yourself on idle (with all control knobs on zero). This bias meter is the safest way to do it unless you know what you are doing - even then, keep your left hand in your pocket and don't let your mate take photos with the flash on, or you will **** yourself like I did when I was biasing 200W Hiwatt

Anyone know? Is there a difference between the 30 watt and 50 watt models?

I thought I'd ask here before calling CustSvc.

I have some Mesa Boogie 450 EL 34 tubes made by Siemens, and the Mesa info says the plate voltage should not exceed 450 volts.

Thanks for whatever info you can provide.

Mark
I use the Siemens tubes in a 30 Watt HXDA; the set I have in it is about 3 years old. No issues. Doug Sewell was the one who hipped me to using them. I figured he designed the amp, he should know.

Back