Plans /blueprints semi hollow

Diceys

Hello all
Just wondering if any of you folks have come across a blueprint or plan for PRS style semi hollow guitar that I could build to as a hobby project??
Even a PDF would do that I could download and print to size??
Cheers in advance

I see blueprints online for all makes of guitars so I assumed it wasn’t an issue. LMI etc do Martin/Gibson etc “style” plans but I couldn’t see a PRS “Style” there although there is a 594 “style” available elsewhere so it was an innocent enough question

I see blueprints online for all makes of guitars so I assumed it wasn’t an issue.
Sure, maybe, but not from the manufacturer's own forum! Geez, look at Gibson suing everyone for a while who even thought about selling a "V-shaped" guitar.

And just because you found it online doesn't make it legal.

As I said it was an innocent question from a newbie so maybe pointing out some of the issues you are obviously more aware of than me would be a better way to go about it but thanks for the input anyway
Cheers

Hi Diceys,

Basically, you could look for a straight on picture of a PRS and scale it to lifesize by taking certain known dimensions like body width, nut width etc. as a basis.
That would give you the outline of the body.
The internals of a semi hollow you could figure out by yourself: you need enough material left where the neck is set in, where the bridge sits and where the strap buttons screws will be, everything else you can leave or remove to taste.
Also take into account that you need enough material left on the bottom, to hold the screws for the covers and also to have the covers sunk into the body.
Neck body joint is more or less as on a Les Paul Junior Doublecut.

I think, you can do it like that, no plans needed in my opinion. Top carve, well, that is another story. Personally I just hit the maple with finger planes and scrapers and let the carve form itself, others prefer routing templates. Not sure how well you are set up regarding tools?

As for "legal" issues etc. : as far as I remember, PRS himself started with a copy of a Gibson. I mean, you have to start somewhere, you usually do not come up with an all original design in the first. And as this is intended to be for personal use as a hobby build, not intended to be marketed, I really don't know why that should be a problem. I mean, I also build guitar and use certain aspects of PRS and other companies, which I could not use, if I would intend to sell them, at least not in the US. But strictly for my personal use and joy, I can do whatever I want, as long as I do not make money with it.

Guitar luthiers and hobby builders all learn from one another and I think it's a good thing to have more people involved in building as that can mean: progress for the thing we all love - the guitar.

Have fun building! It's amazing to hold and play, what you build! And it is amazing to compare it to an original PRS and find all those details that they just do to perfection, that drive you crazy during the build and let you ask yourself multiple times: how is it possible for them to make these details so perfect? For me at least, a PRS is a benchmark in quality for me to meet as a hobby builder, and am always grateful for the work they have done to improve certain aspects of the guitar.

Best regards

Jonas

Last edited:
The reason anyone and everyone builds F and G style guitars is the body designs have been around for a very long time and the companies did not successfully defend their trademarks.

I think you will struggle for PRS plans because they are still relatively new in comparison to the big guys and the body shape is trademarked.

Part of the adventure of your hobby build will be designing your own take on that style.

Hello all
Just wondering if any of you folks have come across a blueprint or plan for PRS style semi hollow guitar that I could build to as a hobby project??
Even a PDF would do that I could download and print to size??
Cheers in advance
Let me know if you find anything! I have been wanting a 3D model of a basic PRS (CU24, McCarty, etc) to use as a canvas for the PS builds I eventually want, and if I get around to making one on my own, I will be sure to let you know!! Best wishes on your quest and build!!!

Oh come on guys, lighten up! This is not a commercial exploit, this is just a hobbyist who wants to build his own guitar. That is worthy of praise and not flame throwing with heavy words. Yeah, maybe not the smartest question on a dedicated forum, but well let's say: imitation is a form of flattery ;-)

I used to build guitars for fun, and fun it is to work with beautiful woods and the thrill of playing your own built guitar is special. It is most likely not going to be on par with a quality PRS guitar, but that is not the point.

Back