Planning to get the SE Mark Holcomb and tune it to Standard Tuning, should I reduce string gauge?

ammophobia

So as I notice, the SE Mark Holcomb model comes with Drop C tuning on .010-.052 strings. I am planning to get one soon, but I will be playing it in standard tuning. Should I change the strings to 0.009, or at least 0.010-0.046? Or would the 0.010-0.052 be fine in standard tuning? Also, would a truss rod adjustment be necessary?

Thanks.

Depends on whether you'd like the feel. Also, do take note that coated strings like elixirs have more tension than a non coated set of the same gauge. I personally like more tension when I'm doing fast picking as there's less give and where your thumb will be after you strike the string is more predictable, but I do appreciate a slinkier tension so I can be more creative and expressive with my bends and over longer periods of time/sets.

Personally play a light top heavy bottom elixir 9s set on a 25.5" guitar. Probably could go 10s or 9.5s(if they have this gauge).

Also whether your guitar needs a truss rod adjustment will depend as well. Change the gauge and the tuning and leave it for a day or 2 and then check again.

I would. On my 25.5" guitars, I use a standard set of 10s. However, I do use 10-52s on my CE24, mainly because usually stays in Drop D.

Well...try it with the stock strings. If you like the feel, then leave it alone.

If you feel like you are trying to play on suspension bridge cables, swap them for 10-46s.

Personally, I kinda like the feel of 10-52s in standard tuning. But I must admit I use 10-46s on most of my guitars, because I'm too lazy to swap stuff around very much.

By changing the tuning but not the strings you may require a truss rod adjustment. Changing both may result in no changes required.

OTOH, I'm not very sensitive to changes in neck "behavior" due to string or tuning changes or weather, I think I have tweaked one truss rod in the last 15 years, and that was on an acoustic guitar a couple of months ago.

10-52 will be fine in standard. I used this gauge on Stratocasters for years. There will be noticeably more tension on the strings, so it will be harder to bend. The truss rod might need to be tightened a little bit to compensate.

I would think 9-46 in standard would more closely match the feel of the stock setup, but it just depends on what you like and what feels and sounds best to you.

All right, I’ll try it out with the factory gauge first. Thanks a lot for the input and suggestions, guys.

I did. I went down to 42-09s and dropped in a Graphtech nut.

Everyone has a preference. For 25.5 scales I like 9s. For 25/24.5 I like 10s.

Back