Planning a trip

Going up the west side down the east side. Maybe take ferry across lake

I did that ferry trip as a kid - it was a lot of fun!

The northern part of the Southern Peninsula of Michigan is gorgeous. Be sure to visit Traverse City, Harbor Springs, and Charlevoix on your way (or on your way back). They're seriously nice towns, and very much part of that whole experience. You probably already know that Mackinac doesn't allow motor vehicles, including motorcycles, so you might have to make arrangements to park them.

Back in the day, I knew a number of iron workers who built the Mackinac Bridge.

The Grand Hotel is a nice old place, and there's the touristy Main Street on the island where you used to be able to buy - not kidding - shellac'd horse poop on a wooden stand. I haven't been there since the '90s.

The trip down the western side of Michigan is more engaging and pretty than down the eastern side of the state (just my two cents, I've lived in Michigan all my life).

PS - I never bought the horse poop.

I did that ferry trip as a kid - it was a lot of fun!

The northern part of the Southern Peninsula of Michigan is gorgeous. Be sure to visit Traverse City, Harbor Springs, and Charlevoix on your way (or on your way back). They're seriously nice towns, and very much part of that whole experience. You probably already know that Mackinac doesn't allow motor vehicles, including motorcycles, so you might have to make arrangements to park them.

Back in the day, I knew a number of iron workers who built the Mackinac Bridge.

The Grand Hotel is a nice old place, and there's the touristy Main Street on the island where you used to be able to buy - not kidding - shellac'd horse poop on a wooden stand. I haven't been there since the '90s.

The trip down the western side of Michigan is more engaging and pretty than down the eastern side of the state (just my two cents, I've lived in Michigan all my life).

PS - I never bought the horse poop.
Thanks Les, lots of good info

Sleeping Bear Dunes near Traverse City are cool.

Mackinac Island is basically a tourist trap, as Les noted, but there is a very cool old fort there with demonstrations (if they’re open).

Going up the west side down the east side. Maybe take ferry across lake

Some really cool towns along the west side. As you head north:

Nature walk at Arcadia is cool. Incredible public golf course and restaurant there-over looking Lake Michigan.

Dinghy’s on Frankfort’s main drag is a cool bar/restaurant.

Pt Betsy Light House is a destination for sunset (I’ve stayed at the private coast guard cabin there several times)

The Manitou on north side of Crystal has the best sautéed perch on the planet (my death row meal)

Glen Arbor is great town. Sleeping Bear Dunes National park is world famous.

Joe’s Friendly Tavern in Empire (before Glen Arbor) has the best cheese burger on the planet.

Empire Bluff is an easy hike and great Lake views.

Leland (Fish Town) is awesome

Sutton’s Bay is a cool town.

Charlevoix is a really cool town.

Last edited:
I'm jealous of those who have enough time to plan trips. Usually, I don't have enough time and pay good money to travel agencies to take care of all. However, I want to try something new this year and book a tour alone. I found reasonable offers on https://www.freetour.com/bilbao, but I'm still looking for a partner. I can't wait to explore the urban transformation that revolutionized Bilbao. I'm so fond of this city. I hope we'll also manage to visit the old town and book the Sestao Past Tour.

Last edited:
Back