Planned vs impulse buy

Silvertree

I love the smell of a PRS case in the morning.
I was just curious how many of you decide to look for something specific in comparison to just looking around to see if something catches your eye? I am currently looking for the "right" guitar with 20th/30th/30th vine birds and it occurred to me that this is one of only a couple of times I have had something specific in mind before I set out to buy a guitar. Almost all of the other times I thought it played well or looked cool. Note: every PRS I've played has played well enough for me so I have no problem buying them on looks/sound alone.

I was just curious how many of you decide to look for something specific in comparison to just looking around to see if something catches your eye? I am currently looking for the "right" guitar with 20th/30th/30th vine birds and it occurred to me that this is one of only a couple of times I have had something specific in mind before I set out to buy a guitar. Almost all of the other times I thought it played well or looked cool. Note: every PRS I've played has played well enough for me so I have no problem buying them on looks/sound alone.

I can honestly say that EVERY PRS has been a planned purchase. Anything that costs as much as a brand new PRS has to be a planned purchase for me. I am also very particular of the colour so I look for the model in a specific colour. My last guitar took me around 6months to save up the necessary funds whilst also searching for a PRS Special 22 in Fire Red Burst. When the money was not an issue (as in I had the funds to buy it), I contacted my preferred retailer to ask if they could source a Fire Red Burst Special and as soon as their rep told them that PRS were not making more and they couldn't source one, I went and bought my 2nd choice version. The fact I spent 6 months making sacrifices to maximise my saving potential for the sole purpose of buying the exact model of guitar I wanted is indicative of a planned purchase.

I rarely buy anything that wasn't planned - at least not items that cost hundreds let alone thousands. I may buy something that wasn't on the list when doing my grocery shopping but that's about it. I would love to be in a position where I can happen upon a £3k+ guitar and impulse buy. Having that amount of free cash to be able to impulse buy without really any thought must be great. Buying a Guitar like I would buy a Pick or a bar of chocolate must be really great but I have to save up the funds, plan to spend that much and ensure that I am not going to jeopardise my living arrangements because I can't pay my rent/bills, my ability to put food on the table etc - especially if some unexpected problem crops up like my fridge breaks down.

I guess if I was a Doctor, Dentist or Lawyer, I could impulse buy PRS guitars but as I am not (despite the internet telling everyone only Dr's, Dentists and Lawyers buy PRS), I have to plan to buy mine...

A bit of both for me. Buying the actual guitar may be the impulse for me. Once I decide I'm in the mood to order one, I usually have an idea what I'm after. Of course, that could change in an instant.

Of the 3 so far,
1st was planned but wound up being impulse
2nd was kinda an impulse,
3rd was planned

#1 was supposed to be a Trampas Green SE that I found on a local stores website, but once I got there, it really didn't grab me. My oldest kid happened upon a 30th anni SE CU 24 while running the used rack and that was the guitar that came home with me.
#2 I found on a Colorado Dealer's website and since we were heading through there on vacation, and it was close to my birthday, we stopped and viola, the Mira joined the crew.
#3 I really, really wanted a One. I looked for almost a year before one popped up local and it was a Korina to boot. I'm still looking for a beater One to mod and I'd also like to have an Abraxas to complete the trifecta.

Bigger purchases are well thought out and planned. Discussed ahead of time and approved by the Mrs.

Every now and then when I'm feeling twitchy, I'll keep an eye out for cheap used SE guitars. I've bought five of those on impulse so far, because when an entire quality-built guitar costs the same or less than a boutique set of pickups, why not.

Hmmm... of the PRS I own...

1) Se One - I won it, so doesn't fit in either class, but it was a very gratefully accepted gateway drug
2) 305 - Planned
3) Mira - Impulse
4) McRosie - Impulse
5) P22 - Planned
6) Silver Sky - Impulse
7) 594 Soapbar - Planned

I’d say 90% planned. Pretty sure I don’t have any of the impulse buys anymore. Maybe 1 at most. I’m usually looking for something specific if I buy.

First: Planned, poorly. I wanted a PRS in the multi foil blue I had seen, didn't know the name of the color, salesperson had no idea what I was talking about, ended up with the metal flake. I think it turned out ok.

Second: (not sure what to call this) Tried not to buy it, got something else instead, regretted, went back and bought the one I wanted in the first place.

Third: Impulse, tried it out, rosewood neck knocked me out. Agonized over getting it for a couple of weeks, it was still in the shop after all that time, so I buckled.

Fourth: Total impulse, used private stock with white-gold birds and a rosewood neck? what are the chances, snapped it up the day I saw it.

Fifth: Craigslist find that had been looking for a home for too long, price got reduced, it was red, wife likes red, got it.

Sixth (and my all time fave): Impulse. I blame you all. Well, @bodia in specific, because of this:

That's a righteous harem! Love that PS! So, I have to ask; what's next? :p

Got me thinking, maybe I could get another red one past the mrs. There was some chatter on the forums about Modern Eagles at the time, I think. I guess I owe him one! Thanks m8! Cheers to you!

well...crap...I'm definitely more impulse...I'll plan to pull funds for a specific model, but inevitably, a nice used sumptin-sumptin shows up nearby, I get a call and a good deal, and "impulse buy" is born.
(examples: used Mira X, used old-school PRS bass 5, used McCarty Std, etc...) Inevitably, I still stash $$ away and get the initial targeted piece, eventually.

As far as the impulse buys, some are gone, some remain, but I have no regerts!!!

Back