Piezo on PRS Guitars and Impulses

The Prophet

Hi all, my name is Greg - new to this forum, but I'm a long time PRS player - nearly 20 years of custom 22's (5 in the live locker and 2 under the bed!).

Simply the best guitars made.

Very recently, after playing a friends old Parker Fly (not my style - but actually pretty awesome!) I have become very interested in guitars with a piezo - I have never looked at any model line except the CU22 after falling in love with my first - and wondered what your experiences have been using guitars like the P22 with acoustic response impulses in a studio or live setting.

Thanks for any insight you can share - Greg

Don't have direct experience with a PRS piezo and acoustic IR's but I use acoustic IR's every time I play an acoustic live. The only problem is if another person is playing acoustic and not using IR's, they don't sound so good anymore.

Can't imagine it would really be too much different with piezo solid body.

I use my 2 piezo equipped PRS solidbodies with a Line 6 Helix to provide effects and switching for the magnetic signal into my Mesa MK V, and to process the piezos through 3 Sigma acoustic IR's (mostly the Martin D-45 model) separately into the P.A. system. This setup sounds the closest to a real acoustic of anything I've yet tried on a solidbody, and only the thin strings and unwound G string compromise the tone a bit the harder you play.

Antecedent being another playing piezo only.

Using acoustic IR's makes you sound so good anyone you share a stage with not using one will sound not-so-great.

I have a P245 with Piezo and modified my Sig Ltd with a Ghost Piezo. I play through my Fractal AX8 and an Acoustic IR. Sounds great.

I use my P22 with a Helix and some acoustic IRs. I loved it so much I sold my acoustic/electric and ONLY use the P22 now. I still have a "regular" acoustic for strumming and whatnot....

What IR's are you guys using that sound so good? I'd love to try a couple.

I am using a P22 and SCHB through a Line 6 Helix and an FRFR setup. I have a set of patches with 2 paths--one for the mag pickups and another for the piezo on each guitar. I use acoustic guitar IRs on the piezo paths and love the outcome. It takes a bit of effort to get the tone I am looking for, but it is worth it. I love blending the mags and piezo by just using the 2 paths in the Helix.

I actually looked into this on the AmpliFire, but it can't do dual paths with completely separate signal chains. I considered adding a AF6 to my AF3... but that might be overkill. Still, no bigger than a Helix. Probably smaller, and cheaper to add a whole new AF6 than to replace with Helix.

I am using a P22 and SCHB through a Line 6 Helix and an FRFR setup. I have a set of patches with 2 paths--one for the mag pickups and another for the piezo on each guitar. I use acoustic guitar IRs on the piezo paths and love the outcome. It takes a bit of effort to get the tone I am looking for, but it is worth it. I love blending the mags and piezo by just using the 2 paths in the Helix.
I'm a bit late to the party, but is there any chance you can share your Helix patches?! Thank you

So all of you who gig with a guitar with both magnetic pickups and a piezo run the piezo through one amp and the magnetic pickups through another?

Do any of you use a dedicated acoustic amp of some kind just for the piezo?

My Rick Turner Model One has one humbucking pickup and a piezo pickup in the bridge. They can be blended and EQed on the guitar using the tone control and parametric EQ/Boost.

I can run through my one guitar amp and get great electric tones and pretty good acoustic tones, but I do have a SWR California Blonde acoustic amp that I could use for my acoustic sounds.

I've also had those Fishman Aura modeling pedals that can make your piezo sound like a Martin 0M-28 or D28 or D45 or whatever. Cool and useful pedals.

Honestly though, I don't like going back and forth between acoustic and electric guitar sounds on one song.

I'd rather just play one or the other.

I can see doing it in a church band or something like that tho.

Last edited:
Back