Picky, picky..

If you're miss good Ozzy music, check out Hellfueled.

That dude might do Ozzy better than Ozzy does Ozzy. :D

Can't say I miss Ozzy in terms of style. I do like the first 2 Zakk albums, but at this point, if I'm turning that on, it's purely out of nostalgia to hear those specific songs. I did like the 13 album by Sabbath quite a bit but that might be nostalgia as well.

That dude might do Ozzy better than Ozzy does Ozzy. :D

Can't say I miss Ozzy in terms of style. I do like the first 2 Zakk albums, but at this point, if I'm turning that on, it's purely out of nostalgia to hear those specific songs. I did like the 13 album by Sabbath quite a bit but that might be nostalgia as well.
I think you may be right. Ozzy hasn't sounded that good in a long time.

In Flames?

I'm just going to name the bands from the recently listened to section of my music app. I'm going to leave out the stuff that I think is heavier than your music tastes, but keep some stuff that I think is probably on the edge of what you'd dig. Here goes...

Neurosis
Ian Fletcher Thornley (front man for Big Wreck)
Gojira
Dead Sara
High On Fire
Sikth
PGP (Pinnick Gales Pridgen)
Fiona Apple
Limb
Hark
In Flames
Ben Howard
Corrosion of Conformity
Acid Bath
Dax Riggs (front man for Acid Bath)
Lil BUB (BUB RULES!)
Clutch
Leprous
John Carpenter
Between the Buried and Me
The Dillinger Escape Plan
Sevendust
Tedeschi Trucks Band
Soilwork
Darkest Hour
Howl
Steve Lukather
Toto
Converge
Baroness

This may not be you're thing, but check out Jason Isbell. I've purchased most of his back catalog in the last few months. His music really isn't guitar oriented rock, but he does write amazing songs. Start with "Something More Than Free" or "Southeastern".

This may not be you're thing, but check out Jason Isbell. I've purchased most of his back catalog in the last few months. His music really isn't guitar oriented rock, but he does write amazing songs. Start with "Something More Than Free" or "Southeastern".
Isbell is fantastic! Another good one in a similar vein is Chris Stapleton. Both are fabulous guitarists as well...

Last edited:

I just grabbed these on my music subscription service of choice. Thanks for the suggestion. The wife and I are digging them.

You're right that it's not really my thing, Shawn. But holy crap, the song Cover Me Up is absolutely amazing. I could listen to a whole album of that. By the few songs I was able to listen to before bed, I can tell he's an awesome songwriter. Will check out some more of his stuff.

I can't stop listening to The Aristocrats... I like music that combines exquisite talent and creativity, but above all I value humor. I like musicians that "seem" to not take themselves very seriously and always convey a sense of fun when playing.

For those who mentioned Zappa, I'm right there with you! I started with Joe's Garage simply because I had ran out of Steve Vai songs to listen to —remember going to Tower Records and listening for hours with those public headphones, eew.

The only music that I consistently listen to is an Oldies Radio app on my iphone, and then within the app I am limited to something called Ichiban Radio. It features very old surf, rock, garage, out of tune and otherwise unknown music. I figure they must have gone around to the recording studios in America, Japan and Europe, and bought up all the Never would have made it music and put it out there. Some is trash, some is treasure. I hear stuff I've never heard by bands that never were and it's all cool.

I've recently been getting into these guys, Snarky Puppy. They're all monster musos and I really dig the tunes:

My boys, both avid musicians, saw them in Indy recently, and LOVED the show. There is great talent out there that isn't 50+ years old. ;)

I've recently been getting into these guys, Snarky Puppy. They're all monster musos and I really dig the tunes:

yup, they're great...the boy turned me on to them awhile back. I kinda forgot about them so thanks for the reminder!

yup, they're great...the boy turned me on to them awhile back. I kinda forgot about them so thanks for the reminder!
I got told about them ages ago too, and forgot to check them out!

There's some great solos in that "We Like It Here" DVD, I love watching the expressions on everyone's faces when someone gets crazy!

I brought them up in a thread a long time ago, someone replied saying they were "stiff" and "didn't swing", I still think they are some of the best all around musicians performing today.
Love to see fusion still alive.:)

Back