Pickups Suggestions: 2012 P22 non trem

bricel24

I have a P22 that I've had for a few months now. I like everything about it, except for the sound I am getting from the 53/10 pups. To my ears, it sounds too compressed and tinny with dirt, but it may just be how its designed. I am not a metal player and probably the highest gain I sometimes go in the spectrum is when playing some Van Halen covers.

Now, for a time Ive been trying to see if I can replace it with something else, but Id like to see if I can just swap out the pups to maybe more of a vintage/PAF style ones, would it be worth it? Id kinda hate to overall change the guitar, as its how its designed by the folks at PRS but in reality its what the player is after that makes it worth a try. Id like to keep the guitar and truly be my #1.

Anyone have swapped out pups on these they can recommend? Was thinking of the SD hot rodded set but Im all ears. FWIW, I mainly play through a Mesa Express 5:25 head into a 1x12 TA cab on the clean channel with a bit of breakup.

TIA!

I'm kinda with you on the 53/10's (although those are supposed to be more darker than "tinny") and even the 408's on my solidbody hit me the same way, too easy to distort. When I was considering getting another HB I was disappointed when all the ones I was running into had 85/15's because I'm a big fan of the original arch top pups that my 2000 HB has. They're about as vintage as you can get and you have to push the hell out of your amp to get a metal tone, but they're really clear sounding for jazz and do the slight breakup thing very well.

As for changing the pups on your axe, I say DO IT!!! Especially if you look at it as your main guitar and simply want the best tone you can produce, rather than a piece you plan on selling someday.
As for what replacement?.....that's a whole other ballgame.......I suggest you do a bit more reading up on what pups will produce the tone you want. Good luck, hope this helps.

Don't feel bad changing your pups, it doesn't mean they're bad, it just means they're not for you. The 53/10s have their fans, they won't be hurt. Also, they're inanimate objects.

If you want to stay PRS, try 57/08s.

If you want to try elsewhere, listen to some sound clips on the sites that have them -- BKP, Seymour Duncan, etc.

I have a 2012 P22 with 57/08's. I'd be happy to trade them for your 53/10's. PM if interested.

Don't feel bad changing your pups, it doesn't mean they're bad, it just means they're not for you. The 53/10s have their fans, they won't be hurt. Also, they're inanimate objects.

Lampframe.jpg

Many of you feel bad for this lamp. That is because you crazy. It has no feelings, and the new one is much better.

Before you install something new, trying lowering the pickups down a bit. That should tame them a little. Also, trying rolling the volume down to 7 or a 8. This will clean up the signal and should provide a cleaner tone.

**UPDATE 5/19**

So I swapped in a set of SD Hot Rodded Set (JB/Jazz combo) into my P22 as a last resort before I put it up for sale and hunt for a McCarty. It delivers and imo it improved the tone -- more low end, very clear and articulate chords and single notes, just what I was aiming for with this guitar.

That said, I now have the 53/10 set that I plan to install on my SE Bernie, which should do better being on there than on the P22. :)

Last edited:
Back