Pickups in a 2001 PRS Hollowbody Spruce?

Jimi D

@ the hundredth meridian
I'm curious as to what pickups it used, and I'm specifically wondering if anyone knows if the stock pickups for this guitar could be tapped/split? I'm looking at possibly making an offer on one, but I'm trying to figure out if I would have to replace the pickups or not...

I'm guessing they would be Archtop pickups but I could be wrong.

Edit: Yup Archtops

McCARTY HOLLOWBODY: 1998 - Current. Hollowbody - carved spruce top with carved mahogany back and sides. Hollowbody I - carved maple top with carved mahogany back and sides. Hollowbody II - carved maple top and back with mahogany sides. All models are 1 3/4" depth at rim, 3" depth at bridge, 22-fret wide-fat mahogany neck, rosewood fretboard, PRS adjustable stoptail bridge, and McCarty Archtop pickups with 3-way toggle. Piezo bridge pickup option added in 1999.

I have Archtops in my 2006 HB Spruce.

I don't think they came with a tap/spilt wire for splitting/tapping.

If you have the piezo option the wiring gets really interesting, even if the pups came with a tap...

Yep. McCarty Archtop pickups. They do not split; they have traditional two-conductor leads. They're very low output for humbuckers. The bridge is low 7k range and neck is mid 6k range.

Yep. McCarty Archtop pickups. They do not split; they have traditional two-conductor leads.

Correct. I'll add that the PTC techs once told me they did not do coil splits on the HB series because a lifetime of push-pull knob action was not a good idea on a solid top carved to 1/8th of an inch thick.

=K

Correct. I'll add that the PTC techs once told me they did not do coil splits on the HB series because a lifetime of push-pull knob action was not a good idea on a solid top carved to 1/8th of an inch thick.

=K

Seems like sound advice! They will install mini toggles for splits, however (won't work with Archtop pups),

Back