Pickups for drop tuning

Teddy Huynh

Hi. New member and 1st thread / post! Been lurking here for a while and decided to sign up finally lol just to ask questions for those specially who play PRS guitars. And sorry for the long post lol.

Got my tax refunds two weeks ago and went crazy and bought 2 PRS CE22s (owned 2 Singlecuts for a while now).

Been experimenting with open g, c, and dadgad tunings (fantastic btw and opened up a lot of new ideas for me). But I also want to drop half a step down with those tunings for darker and heavier tones.

Want to get a third PRS CE22 just so I can have 3 guitars set up specifically for those tunings (singlecuts are set up for drop c and d standard). I have Dimarzio Titans and Transitions installed in those, but want something different.

Thinking about dropping Titans in the CEs, but just wondering if you guys have experience with Railhammer Chisel or Seymour Duncan Black Winter for drop tunings as well. Want clarity for chords and definition for the chugs. Thanks!

I love the Duncan Alpha / Omega in my drop C Holcomb.

Likely similar to the Titans (same band).

I like the Duncan Pegasus & Sentient set I put in my Mushok Baritone so much that I bought a matching set for my SVN 7 string. One’s tuned to drop A and the other is tuned to B standard. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the suggestions! Forgot to mention I'm using the Road King II as well. Do you guys think the pickups have enough high mids to push through the somewhat scooped and dark rectifier?

...for drop tunings as well. Want clarity for chords and definition for the chugs. Thanks!

Try this on whatever you've got: raise the screw poles 1/8th inch, drop the pickup bobbin a quarter inch or to the pickup ring, and turn up the amp volume.
You should get a lot more clarity and cut muddiness. Setup of pickups is a huge overlooked factor.

From there I'd try pots & caps swaps.... and only then new pickups.

I messed around with the pickup heights and poles. For standard and drop d rock or metal stuff I dont mind the Dragon IIs at all. Still tight and clear, and sounds great.

Just not sure they can handle anything lower than that without getting flubby.

I messed around with the pickup heights and poles. For standard and drop d rock or metal stuff I dont mind the Dragon IIs at all. Still tight and clear, and sounds great.

Just not sure they can handle anything lower than that without getting flubby.
I'm mostly a metal player (down tunes too). I don't mean any insult in asking... since you mentioned "flubby" do you use thicker gauge strings to keep good tensions too?

No offense taken.

I set up the PRS CE22s with 10-46 gauges for standard and drop d at the moment. Haven't try to set up them for lower tunings yet, but plan to use 12-56 or higher (my singlecut is have 12-56 for drop c).

No offense taken.

I set up the PRS CE22s with 10-46 gauges for standard and drop d at the moment. Haven't try to set up them for lower tunings yet, but plan to use 12-56 or higher (my singlecut is have 12-56 for drop c).
Thanks for the reply.

All my guitars are 6 string drop D tuned. I use a 7 string EB regular slinky set but I put aside the 46 gauge intended for the 6th and instead use the 56 gauge intended for the 7th. Essentially, it's a 10's set except for the 56 ga on the 6th. It gives me an even tension throughout all the strings without the "flubby". I just use a Digitech Drop pedal if I needed to go lower than drop D because I don't like the idea of relying on or switching to another guitar for lower tunes. I also got fed up with looking for the perfect string gauges for a particular tune.

Back to pickups, I liked my Gibson Dirty Fingers "inspired" pickups for low tunes and a custom wound Damask Metal bridge humbucker for low tunes by Woodshop Pickups that they had me try out.

I should probably do that too (buy a 7 string set and adjust). Do you know if of any companies that do custom set?

I should probably do that too (buy a 7 string set and adjust). Do you know if of any companies that do custom set?
juststrings.com does, but last time I checked a 7-set was cheaper.

I used to save the 46 gauge as a 6th for my 25.5" scale guitars.

Last edited:
Back