Pickups for 2003 McCarty

Apothecarius

Hi everybody. New PRS user here. I traded a Les Paul Standard for a 2003 McCarty.
Playing it for 3 weeks now and I'm really happy with it. Build quality, playability and craftmanship are top notch.

The only thing is the pickups (especially the neck) sound quite muddy to my ears. Like a blanket would lay over them.
It's 2 McCarty pickups. I set them to the height (3/32" and 2,5/32") recommended by PRS but still...

Are there other McCarty players (pre 57/08) with the same impression or is it just my ears?

Any pickup recommendation to get a clearer sound? I play mostly blues & blues-rock, no high gain stuff...

Thanks for your help ;-)

Several options. I think the Mccarty pickups are pretty good, but there are better options.

I'll let the guys with newer PRS than me chime in on the house brand pickups but depending on your budget;

Seymour Duncan 59's are a great clear all around PAF style humbucker. Especially for the neck.
You can tailor the bridge to hotter or more grind if you want, but the 59 neck is near perfection for me. ( I run that and a Sat Night Special in my PRS CU22). Seth Lovers another great choice though warmer and rounder, I like the 59 for clarity.

Wolftone Marshallhead 2s or Dr Vintage..boutique but not exorbitantly priced, wolfe's vintage PAF recipes are killer.
Wagner American Steele set. Another flavor, one of my favorites, thicker bridge tones.

if you search visual guy on youtube, he just did a huge pickup comparison range of videos that gives a lot of these a head to head demo in a LP.

An example, nice tones here;.

That said I know a lot of guys like the 57/08's. I haven't tried them.

For the record I'd make that trade in a heartbeat. The McCarty is a fabulous model. Much superior IMO to the les paul design.

I think Mike D has some in his DGT and is pretty happy with them.

I like a lot of the older PRS Pickups. The Artist models were KILLER.
McCarty not bad at all, but not doing it for you.
The #7's and #10's were very good as well.

Hello Apothecarius - your story sounds familiar. I had a 1999 McCarty with the stock McCarty pickups that I didn't care for. Same impression as you.

I swapped them out for Seymour Duncan Alnico II's and that helped some. But it still wasn't what I wanted and eventually I sold it.

I came back to McCartys in about 2013 and got a 2009 model with PRS 57/08s and it's exactly what I want to hear. I still have it.

So I'd look for a pair of 57/08s or some other boo-teek pickup. Big Mike's recommendations are good, too.

Don't give up - the McCarty is a terrific guitar.

=K

I have tried a set of 57/08s and a mixed set of 57/08 and DGT in my McCarty. Both were improvements (to my ears) over the stock McCarty pickups.

I co-sign on all the recommendations for 57/08s or 59/09s. If you venture outside of PRS pickup land, I would recommend Bare Knuckles (wide variety of options available.... depends on what type of music you will be playing).

I've got a Duncan Alnico II Pro in the neck and a 59/Custom Hybrid in the bridge in my MC58. I took out the 57/08s it came with. Big improvement to my ears. I really like them in this guitar.

One of my McCartys has the 57/08s and they're near perfect in that guitar. Some of my very favorite PAF types.I agree with the others who've said if you want a little more drive, go with a 59/09 bridge. More push and more mids, with a little less air and less of the 57/08s magical 3-D quality.

Another set that's a bit hotter than vintage and quite rich is the Duncan Slash set, a slightly overwound version of the Alnico II Pros.
The 59/Custom Hybrid is a really great pickup. Extra output but it retains its sparkle & a lot of PAF character overall. And it splits very well indeed.
If you like a hair little more vowel character in your tone, the DiMarzio 36th Anniversary set is very nice. Ever-so-slightly hotter than vintage.
For hot aggressive blues tone with a screaming lead voice yet still a fairly vintage feel, you might consider the Texas/BBQ set from Rio Grande. I have a set in a McNaught and they really shine without being too over-the-top.

Thanks a million for your replies guys. It seems that the 57/08s and 59/09s are pretty popular amongst PRS aficionados. I guess my choice will go in that direction...

I have tried a set of 57/08s and a mixed set of 57/08 and DGT in my McCarty. Both were improvements (to my ears) over the stock McCarty pickups.

I co-sign on all the recommendations for 57/08s or 59/09s. If you venture outside of PRS pickup land, I would recommend Bare Knuckles (wide variety of options available.... depends on what type of music you will be playing).

Agreed on looking at BKPs. I have a Mule/Riff Raff combo in my SC245 and they are incredible.

Back