Pickup Talk is Driving me Crazy!!!

vashondan

I've read a number of threads about pickups and SE 24s and my head is spinning. The stock pickups in the SE seem very hot to me. I've lowered the pickups, messed with the tone pot etc etc and with the volume knob on 3 it's blasting out of the amp (both a Mustang III and a Carvin Nomad). The strings seem so sensitive that if my fingers touch a string accidentally I feel like my neighbors can hear it two blocks away. If I turn on a boost or overdrive it's even more pronounced. So, what do I do? Am I nuts? I love the guitar but don't think I'm going to be able to live with these pups. I play mostly blues and know that I have to sort through all of the options but would really love to narrow it down some.

So, PLEASE, educate me. I've read a number of folks who talk about the 59/09's but 475 right now is a bit much for me to pay.

The SE 245 pickups are fantastic, IMO, if you're handy with a soldering iron you can rig them for coil splitting and you could score a pair on the 'bay for around $50. They're nicely balanced and have just a touch of heat to them, but not nearly as hot as the HFS/VB.

Yeah, the HFS is very hot and the Vintage Bass is like a slightly hot PAF. For what PRS charges for their pickups, I'd rather go with a set of Lollars. There are a ton of cheaper options out there, so stick with a lower output set and you'll be good.

Back