Pickup switching options. What is your favorite?

I like the 594 arrangement, 4 on your list, because it’s familiar. My fave isn’t on the list, but it’s pure PRS... a 5 way blade switch and a 3 way blade switch, volume/tone. The mighty 513, baby!

“Tosca” Switching!!!
3 way toggle, 3 minitoggles, coil splits x 2, piezo/mag/mix.

TPYBuLB.jpg

WFo3t8y.jpg

Works with V/V and T/T controls too!!
zQ37WMK.jpg

I don’t actually have a favorite. It seems to be entirely dependent on the guitar; if I like the tone and feel, I’m fine with whatever switching it comes with. Maybe it’s even fun to have each guitar have a different personality?

I mostly use the full-on neck or bridge pickups, anyway, and almost never use coil splits, blend, middle position, or any of that stuff, which is probably why I don’t much care.

I get a lot of use out of the volume and tone knobs; that seems to be mostly how I control the way the guitar and amp sound. If the guitar has those, I’m good to go!

I don’t have one, but I like the old metal toggle switch configuration on the maple fretboard CE’s where they had bridge, middle position split, and then neck.
My 88 CE has it. I thought it was a great idea. PRSH was pretty inventive way back then.

I like options 3 and 4. It just depends. If I could only have one for studio it would be 2V, 2T w/ push/pull splits. Live I prefer the 3 way toggle with 2 mini switches. My favorite, favorite, FAVORITE guitar to play onstage is a Paul's Guitar with a trem. Everything about it is just easy and I can get my tones fast without much thought. Someday I'll have another.

Truthfully I don't think PRS makes a tonally "limited" guitar. Even the rotary offers killer sounds. Come to think of it, if I am ever in the financial position to rebuild my collection to where it was it would be based more on have having tonal/switching options than colors or anything like that.

Another favorite was the Brent Mason. It had the 5 way blade and 2 mini switches. Tone for days. I miss that one a lot too. In fact here's the MUST have again models:

Vela
DC594
Brent Mason
Paul's Guitar

If I could grab those again some day I'd be in a sweet spot.....

Back