Pickup swap

Boss

Hi all,

Been considering this as an option but wanted feedback because I've never done something like that before.

The base guitar in question is a Tremonti, which is great and handles gain very well. Then I wanted some variety so I got a DGT, and that's superb, it definitely keeps GAS under control. Now I'm wanting more and been considering a variety of PRS' (at the top of the list there's the P22/P22 Trem, Signature Limited, SC58/SC245).

Never tried the 57/08 or the 59/09 or the 408. I know the 408 would require a whole new guitar but a new guitar is inevitable because I like my Tremonti and DGT as is.

Has anyone experimented with swapping pickups in a Tremonti (or other Singlecut/Doublecut models) for 57/08, 59/09 even DGTs, or any other pickups for that matter?

Also, how different are the DGT to the 57/08 too please?

Thanks people

I'm guessing the DGTs are hotter than the 57/08. the 59/09 is definitely hotter than 57/08 from what i know. I don't see any DGTs in the PRS shop anymore, so maybe the 59/09 is the way to go unless you want to find some used DGTs :) Never played em, only know em from the spec sheets and videos, so I'd better let the owners speak! I wouldn't put those relatively lower output pickups in a Tremonti though, i personally think they're more suited to the likes of McCarty/SC 245. Maybe you can experiment a little bit, throw in the 59/09 or 57/08, you might like it if you're after lower gain stuff, but that's not to say those two can't handle gain well! They just do things in a different way ;)

In my experience, the differences between the 5708 and 5909 are more subtle. Definitely different, but not a crazy, drastic difference. FWIW, I do not have any squabbin 5909s, which may be a hair hotter...I can't remember what I measured my 5909s at. I wanna say the DGTs are in the 5909 camp as well if memory serves. Can't comment on any of those pickups in a Tremonti though.

The Tremonti pickup is MUCH higher output than the others mentioned... As has been stated, the 59/09 is a slight bit hotter than 57/08 and is about the same as a DGT, though the DGT has a little more hair on it.
I am a rather HUGE fan of 59/09 bridge with 57/08 neck combo with stoptails...
The DGT pickup DOES work very well with a trem, and would likely rock the bridge of a tremonti guitar...

Thanks a lot for your input guys.

So the DGT pups are as high output as the 59/09 if not a bit higher, that explains a lot now. I was under the impression that the DGT pups would be very similar to the 57/08. And I'm guessing the 408 pups are as high output as the DGT?

What I love about the DGT is the great tone, fantastic playability and its flexibility on how well it handles gain and cleans up great, it basically does what you want it to do.

Then I saw some clips of 57/08 and got me thinking how well these compare to the DGT if they're put in a hefty guitar like a Tremonti or even in a DGT like you did Boston.

BTW, how does the combo 59/09 treble and 57/08 bass compare to the DGT pups in your DGT, then vs both 57/08 treble and bass to the DGT please?

Thanks again guys.

Last edited:
just to be clear... Both of my DGT's have DGT bridge pickups...
One has a 59/09 neck pickup, which works very well in the neck position of a DGT historically...
The other has a 57/08 pickup in the neck position which I found worked better than a 59/09 in the neck on that particular guitar...
As previously stated, my Lester has a 59/09 bridge and 57/08 neck pickup combo that beat out a SLEW of competitors in a year long auditioning process...
I have also played quite a few fixed bridge PRS that I found worked perfect with the 59/09 bridge 57/08 neck combination...

408's are quite a bit hotter in the bridge than the DGT, 5708 or 5909. Probably not so much in the neck. A little bit of an unfair comparison though given the bridge is wider than a humbucker and neck is narrower. Little bit of a different ball game. I will say the 5909 bridge/5708 neck is a hell of a combo in the Stripped/SC-58/245. 5909 neck is great too, just a hair different. I haven't heard any of these pickups in a 25" scale singlecut but can't imagine it wouldn't sound great.

Thanks guys,

Seems like a 59/09 bridge and 57/08 neck combo is a great setup. Has anyone tried that combo in a singlecut PRS, or a trem PRS? Any clips of such?

Thanks again

Back