Pickup Swap to Seymour Duncan

Blackbird Anthony

Ignite the rage of crows...
Hey all, I am new to this forum, and may have missed a previous post in my search about this.
I have a PRS Custom 24 with \m/ pickups and i would like to switch them to the Seymour Duncan Alpha/Omega. I understand that Seymour Duncan has a wiring diagram on their website for the 2 Hum, 1 Vol, 1 Tone, 5 way blade but in my experience (with PRS guitars anyway) the wiring and components in a PRS are differ than most other guitars. Can anyone help me with a diagram or any info at all to successfully change these out to the 4 wire SD's? I read somewhere (older forum - 2010ish) that the PRS blades will not work with anything other than the standard 3 wire pickups...don,t know how true that is. Thanks all!

Kyle

Thanks man! I have that schematic. Problem I am having, the Seymour Duncan Pickups have 4 wires (and a ground) whereas the PRS pickups are 2 wires (and a ground). Also, in the schematic you provided, do you know how its wired?
IE: Position 1 - bridge Hum, 2 - bridge single coil...etc etc.

I read somewhere (older forum - 2010ish) that the PRS blades will not work with anything other than the standard 3 wire pickups...don,t know how true that is.

False. It's just a simplified super switch made to accommodate the PRS switching scheme.

On pickups, PRS takes the two wires that make the series connection between coils and puts them together. It's the same as a Duncan or any other, except you can't put the coils in parallel.

You can wire the Duncans a couple different ways. You can mix/match:
  • Red - hot, White - ground, and Green/Black - split. Connect split wire to ground for screw coil or connect split wire to hot for slug coil.
  • Black - hot, Green - ground, and White/Red - split. Connect split wire to hot for screw coil or connect split wire to ground for slug coil.
The PRS wiring sends the bridge split to ground, and the neck split to hot, so adjust your wire combo for the coils you want active in positions 2 and 4. Not sure if the \m/ are the same, but the 85/15's are RW/RP, so bridge is white - hot, black - ground, red - split; and neck is black - hot, white - ground, red - split. If I remember right from rewiring my CU22, the stock wiring splits both to slug coil.

Back