Pickup spacing for PRS custom 24

Paz

Alright guys,

I’m probably going to order some new pickups with covers on, do you guys order 50mm or 53mm spacing? From what I understand the stock pickups are 50mm.

Dan

I used 50mm John Suhrs to replace the Duncan set someone installed on my '00 CE22 before I bought it.

Fit right in and the polepieces line up with E strings.

You probably could go wider for the bridge pickup.

I don't think you'd have to tho.

Reactions: Paz
SE or core? My Korean SE bridge is 52mm but core are 49.2mm from what I recall.

There's quite a few threads on this subject that pop up with a quick search.

Mines a core model. Yes I’m sure there is but I was being lazy!

With the PRS bridges it does not matter much. With DiMarzio, both regular and F-spacing will work for the bridge position. 53mm is a bit wide.

My PRS Custom has an F-spaced DiMarzio Dominion in the bridge. The S2 Standard 24 has a regular spaced Duncan. Both work well. All neck pickups have regular spacing.

Cheers Stephan

With the PRS bridges it does not matter much. With DiMarzio, both regular and F-spacing will work for the bridge position. 53mm is a bit wide.

My PRS Custom has an F-spaced DiMarzio Dominion in the bridge. The S2 Standard 24 has a regular spaced Duncan. Both work well. All neck pickups have regular spacing.

Cheers Stephan
Thanks for your response. You’re on the BKP forum if I’m not mistaken? I am considering the BKP crawler pickup at the moment! Which Duncan have you got installed?

Yes, I am also at the BKP forum.

The Crawler bridge is a very warm sounding pickup with medium output. BKP bridge pickups come with 50mm and 53mm, and I can confirm from my own experience that 50mm fits with both PRS's trem and wraptail bridges.

The Duncan on the S2 is a Custom/59 hybrid with an A5 magnet. I made the pickup myself out of a 59 and a Custom. By "Custom/59 hybrid" I mean the screw coil is from the Custom and the slug coil is from the 59 whereas it is the other way round in the production 59/Custom hybrid. The spacing is the regular 49.2mm which fits almost - visually the outside strings are slightly off but tonally it does not matter.

Yes, I am also at the BKP forum.

The Crawler bridge is a very warm sounding pickup with medium output. BKP bridge pickups come with 50mm and 53mm, and I can confirm from my own experience that 50mm fits with both PRS's trem and wraptail bridges.

The Duncan on the S2 is a Custom/59 hybrid with an A5 magnet. I made the pickup myself out of a 59 and a Custom. By "Custom/59 hybrid" I mean the screw coil is from the Custom and the slug coil is from the 59 whereas it is the other way round in the production 59/Custom hybrid. The spacing is the regular 49.2mm which fits almost - visually the outside strings are slightly off but tonally it does not matter.
I thought so! Do you think the crawler would be good for Foo Fighters type rock? I’m basically looking for a modern rock pickup!

It’s good to tinker sometimes!

Yes that should work as the FF tunes I heard all had a guitar tone that was edgy but had a warm midrange. Warm midrange is a signature trait of the Crawler. Edginess not so much - that would have to come from the guitar and amp.

Shouldn't pickups have different spacing based on neck (narrow, ~50mm) or bridge (wider, ~52mm) position ? Gibson's ones do.

With all the "as I recall" and "should be" responses.
I will measure the distance of each myself...

100% PRS Core pickups are 49.2 mm :) I used these on my CU24 VB/HFS because I was scuffing them fit like a dream , Stew Mac also sells them

Back