Pickup rings

gioforce76

Bartender to the stars
Hey guys I’m switching the pickup rings on my custom 22 with a trem does it matter if the rings are straight or tapered? I have a set that is tapered . I’m assuming the bigger end goes towards the bridge? The guitar has straight pickup rings now. Thanks

Hey guys I’m switching the pickup rings on my custom 22 with a trem does it matter if the rings are straight or tapered? I have a set that is tapered . I’m assuming the bigger end goes towards the bridge? The guitar has straight pickup rings now. Thanks
Bigger towards the bridge is correct

Traditionally, pickup rings are flat for trem guitars and tapered for Gibson/PRS-angled set-neck guitars with a post-mounted hardtail bridge. Classic LP bridge rings will be taller to accommodate pickup support. I've seen the PRS 594 has flat rings, but could also have tapered rings without any problem. I have flat rings on a 594 bridge position and it works, but you see quite a bit of the pickup ribbon. I'd say tapered for a PRS hardtail might be better, but TETO.

Thanks , Im putting the new rings on a guitar with a trem and I have tapered pickup rings. the packaging says straight but they are tapered and dont feel like sending them back and waiting for new ones. I want to put the guitar back together.
Traditionally, pickup rings are flat for trem guitars and tapered for Gibson/PRS-angled set-neck guitars with a post-mounted hardtail bridge. Classic LP bridge rings will be taller to accommodate pickup support. I've seen the PRS 594 has flat rings, but could also have tapered rings without any problem. I have flat rings on a 594 bridge position and it works, but you see quite a bit of the pickup ribbon. I'd say tapered for a PRS hardtail might be better, but TETO.

Back