Pickup replacements for SE Chris Robertson

Hotspur

Hey all!

Getting an HB2 has reminded me both how much I like the looks and feel of my Chris Robertson, but also how much the pickups are just not giving me what I want. Those pickups really seem like they just want to give you "more" - the p90 is a massive wall of sound and the bridge has a ton of bite, neither of which really fit my style.

I've got a friend happy to teach me how to solder, so ... I'm about to dive in.

I'm looking for lower-output options. I guess my main question is - and I'm not limiting this to PRS pickups - what is the least "pokey" vintagey PAF I can put in the bridge? The Seymore Duncan '59s or Alnico 2 Pros seems like possibilities, although it's not entirely clear what the differences are. (4-wire is preferred).

As far as the p90 is concerned, does anybody know if SD's "Stacked" noise-cancelling p90 will fit in the route in my guitar? I know that it's taller than most p90s? Otherwise, do people have recommendations about a smooth and musical neck p90 for me?

If it was me I'd call up Lindy Fralin and have a set made that match up nicely in terms of output. He's got hum-canceling P-90s and lots of humbucker options. You might even be able to speak to him directly and tell him what you're after and get a recommendation. They will be a bit more expensive than Duncans, so you have to decide if money is more important than a fantastic sounding guitar.

Wait... this guitar comes with a real 57/08? And, someone is taking it out for something else? o_Oo_O

Seriously OP, from your description, if a P90 is a massive wall of sound, and a classic wound PAF type is too much bite, maybe turn the gain down some. Are you just used to low winds?

Wait... this guitar comes with a real 57/08? And, someone is taking it out for something else? o_Oo_O

Seriously OP, from your description, if a P90 is a massive wall of sound, and a classic wound PAF type is too much bite, maybe turn the gain down some. Are you just used to low winds?

Depends on if it was the first version (older big SE logo on the headstock) which had the US 57/08. The later version had the 57/08 "S" import pickup. Which to my ear, was a bit hotter. But don't quote me on that...well, you can quote me cuz I'm correct. As "they" say...even a broken clock is right twice a day anyway.:p:D

Hmmm? There an echo in here?

See! I told you I was right...this time. @DreamTheaterRules
:p:D

I have to relish the moments like these because they are so rare.

I wasn't questioning so much whether you were correct. I was more worried that we were going to have to kneecap a new guy over removing a 57/08! Or, you know, do what you guys do and say "yeah, they suck but I'll give you $12 for it. And you cover shipping." :p

I wasn't questioning so much whether you were correct. I was more worried that we were going to have to kneecap a new guy over removing a 57/08! Or, you know, do what you guys do and say "yeah, they suck but I'll give you $12 for it. And you cover shipping." :p

Sssssshhhhhhhhh! Ixnay on the icepray dude geeez! ;)

He knows what he has....

Should fifteen fity get it done? Asking for a friend;)

:D:p

Last edited:
Back