Pickup recommendations

Newbie here…
Is there any pickup I can put on my SE that will give me something close to Hendrix tone?

I was hoping you were going to say SE Silver Sky!

That guitar would help you with the Hendrix tone straight out of the bag.

Std 24 might be a little more difficult. I’m going to step aside and let others here chip in. The East coasters will be awake soon!

Last edited:
Well, Hendrix used an SG on Red House. So, I would expect your twin humbuckers and short scale, with 24 fret neck should do it in spades.

Fuzz and wah into a Bassman or Marshall amp cranked up and you're there.

You can't go wrong with the Seymour Duncan JD/59 or Jazz set. I already have this combo in one guitar, so in my CU24, I have a SD Custom/59

When it comes to pickups a person really needs to address a few things before doing anything.

1. What are the natural sonic strengths and weaknesses of your guitar?
2. What does your guitar excel at and in what aspect does it fail/lack which causes you to want to change something?
3. What type of tones do you gravitate towards?
4. What was the guitar/type that the aftermarket pickup was built around?
5. What are the woods involved? Woods have their own sonic characteristics.

Once you identify these things it helps a person to pinpoint viable options for their specific set of circumstances. Asking for opinions is great but most given are most likely not relevant to your personal quest, they will just be somebody else's favorite pickup.

My favourite humbuckers are Wolfetones. A Marshallhead A2 in the bridge and a Dr Vintage A2 for the neck. His prices are reasonable and last time I looked he was running a discount.
I put a set of Wolfetone Legends in my SE HBII and it completely transformed the sound quality.

Can’t recommend them enough.

I just got a Core HBII (Purple Iris) last week and the 58/15LT are alao fantastic.

What musical style does the OP play. What does he dislike about the pickups he has currently in said guitar?

Back