Pickup Recommendation for SE One Korina

PRSHB2

Hey gang, I took advantage of the deal on Musicians Friends and ordered a SE One Korina for $350. It's not here yet, but I'm already considering changing out the pickup. Therein lies my question. I seldom play with only the bridge pickup, unless I am playing lead in a live setting. Any pickup recommendations that would give me more of the traditional P90 Bass Pickup sound? Would it help at all to install a Bass P90 pickup? I realize the location of the pickups has a big factor in how it will sound.

I got the email about that this morning, and considered buying one. I decided I didn't need another so I passed.

I seldom play with only the bridge pickup, unless I am playing lead in a live setting... I realize the location of the pickups has a big factor in how it will sound.
Exactly. No matter what pickup you put in there, it will never sound like a neck pickup. You could get a neck pickup installed, sure! But it would likely cost as much as the entire guitar unless it's DIY. Or, you could resell it or return it, or just embrace the guitar for what it is, a one bridge pickup rock machine, meant to be rocked in the most rocking fashion.

I will for sure try the stock pickup and see if it will work for me. I figure for $350 I can't go wrong. I'd bet that with some tweaking on my amp it will be just fine. Just thinking out loud.

Give the Lollar Overwound P90 a look. It's much deeper and smoother sounding than any other "regular" P90s I've ever played. Nice warm and fat sound...

Give the Lollar Overwound P90 a look. It's much deeper and smoother sounding than any other "regular" P90s I've ever played. Nice warm and fat sound...
Much appreciated. Good to know there's some viable options out there.

Personally, I decided to keep my One completely stock other than the strap locks.

I will for sure install strap locks and locking tuners. Beyond that, who knows.

Best P90 I've had is a Bare Knuckle Nantucket: had one in an old Epi LP Jr which rocked and I currently have three of 'em in my Firebird.

As for the 'bass pickup sound' - what about fitting a push/pull volume pot to kick in a Fender Esquire/Tele style treble-roll-off circuit? No idea what caps/resistors would be needed but I'm sure a decent tech coud sort it out?

Hmmmm, I bought mine with the Lollar installed but the original was included.... Maybe I should throw the stock one in and see how it compares....

I ordered a One Korina from the MF stupid deal, and I am very pleased. I had to raise the bridge just a hair to kill the fret buzz, but otherwise, it was good to go. For me, it is a superb "basic" electric guitar sound. It does a good Mick Ronson kind of vibe for rhythm. Does a good tearing lead in a Marshall. It really doesn't have the right depth to do a good blues thang, but for what it does, it does really well. I think I will leave mine stock. It has more "bark" for leads than humbuckers, which I like. I get the full spectrum from the stock pickup. Not touching mine.

The stock pickups are pretty honky, very nice midrange there in the SE Custom Semi-Hollow Soapbar I've tried and I'd imagine it's going to sound very close to the SE One, except with less sustain and more air. I think they're pretty good, even though they're not my stuff, I'm a humbucker guy :p they feel just like a singlecoil with humbucker midrange, fat and cutting. Turning down the tone pot definitely warmed up the bridge tone to give a very nice woman tone, I'd say it sounds even nicer than the neck pickup with the tone control at 10.

Have you considered about adding a tone pot? you could then leave the tone pot at around 5 to get a darker tone as a substitute for the neck pickup. It won't be quite the same, but it'll get you halfway there.

Maybe John Beef could chime in on whether the small volume pot cavity is big enough to add a tone pot :confused: I've seen his SE One project, and I really hope PRS comes up with an awesome SE like his :D If the cavity is not big enough, the OP might have to route and drill the cavity a la LP Junior :dontknow: or use a push-pull pot wired as volume control and when pulled up, as a tone control.

Last edited:
Back