Pickup Question(problem)

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by Tullin, Apr 10, 2014.

1. Tullin

Tullin New Member

So I play modern metal and run my PRS guitars into a Mesa Dual Rectifier. The problem is the feedback and muddyness of the pickups. I've tried 3 different noisegates and they cut out alot of my tone at this point. I play rhythm and our lead guitarist swears by active pickups. I've always stayed away from EMGs and such so I'm really not that schooled in the active pickup world. So my question is this: have any of you that play metal tried EMGs or Blackouts in a PRS? any other suggestions? I know everyone talks highly of the BKPs but it's tough buying something untested. The idea of having to keep track of batteries etc seems like a drag to me but at this point I'm willing to try anything. I am currently using 2 CU22s, a CU24, a P22 and a Tremonti. The Tremonti treble is the only pickup that sounds ok but the feedback is unbearable. Grateful for any help.
    Cheers

2. sleary

sleary New Member

Muddyness is usually caused from the pickup height. Turn down your gain a little as the pickups might be a little hot. I've used emgs before and never had this problem however I tried my mesa boogie throttle on my hughes and kettener grandmeister , just to give it a little more gain and I got a ton of feedback.

3. SharkGuitar

SharkGuitar New Member

#3 SharkGuitar, Apr 11, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
  4. Rider1260

Rider1260 New Member

I have really never heard of people saying CU22 or 24 or Tremontis as muddy
    Seems like all your guitars are muddy or not the sound you are looking for I would first look at your AMP and AMP settings and Signal chain !!!
    Long cable runs or a poorly set up effects chain can suck the treble out of the best guitars and amps.
    also check your amp microphonic tubes can cause muddy tone and feedback.
    Most tone issues are in the effects and cable not the many 1000 dollar guitar or amp.

5. Michael_DK

Michael_DK New Member

Yeah man, we want answers! I mean, we want specifics...

Is the guitar completely stock?
    Have you messed with string height?
    Pickup height?
    What equipment between amp and guitar?
    Where do you stand in relation to the amp when you play? How close?

6. Tullin

Tullin New Member

Allright problem is now solved with EMG 81/60A mounted. Really can't work out what the problem was but the EMGs helped a sh*tload!
    Yes the guitars were stock, running 10s, low action. Tremonti, cu24 and one cu22 were PLEK'd. Setup was always guitar->TC polytune->amp. I stand about 3 meters to the right of the amp.

7. Michael_DK

Michael_DK New Member

Strange---!

Good to hear you found the solution though! :)

8. FennRx

FennRx PRS Convert

The problem must lie in the signal chain. The guitar was designed to sound perfectly with the stock pups by PRSh.