pickup height question

BlueSky

I have a small nitpicky question regarding the pickup height. I know that the ideal height should be about 2.5/32 on the treble side and about 3/32” on the bass side of both pickups measuring with the E string depressed at the last fret. Do I measure from the top surface of the pickup or from the pole pieces? After all the pole pieces stick out a good millimetre, so that does make a difference.

I measure from center between the bobbins. I don't get real uptight about that 1st measurement only because I usually tweak it a hair while actually playing through the amp. That measurement is really just a starting point IMO.

I just adjust the pickup heights until I'm happy with the relative volumes and tone of the signal. Usually I'm trying to get the pickups fairly close to the strings, because I like as hot a signal as I can get. I think this is one of those "stock" settings that is a good place to start, but fairly arbitrary overall.

I measure from center between the bobbins. I don't get real uptight about that 1st measurement only because I usually tweak it a hair while actually playing through the amp. That measurement is really just a starting point IMO.

This is the answer

I have been reading that the 58/15's are much more sensitive to height than some of the others. I have found them to be a bit bright but also noticed they were very high. I liked their sound better once I lowered them a bit.

I find there is a sweet spot for every pickup. I tend to start with the pup as high as possible without interfering with the string when fretted at the highest fret. I then play and move the pickup down until I hit the best sound. I then will adjust from there, over a few sittings, to get what I like best.

There is no right answer, and you may need adjust in order to balance it with the other pup. I find the g spot is a little lower than I initially think it is going to be.

I think setting a pickup height off of an arbitrary number is not the best approach. Remember, experiment, have fun, and do what suits you and your style best.

Back