pickup height adjustment

sgtjet210

I have a SE Custom 24 and wanted to ask what the proper pickup height settings people was using. After watching several Youtube videos I learned that their was a lot of different opinions from using a paper clip to adjust the height to using calibers. Sooo I thought I would ask here on what you guys and gals used. Thanks JT.

From the PRS Support website:

Pickup Height Adjustment

The pickups on your new instrument are fully adjustable by turning the height adjustment screws at each end of the pickup. With the high and low E strings (E and G strings for the Electric Bass) depressed at the last fret the measurement should about 2.5/32 (5/64”) on the treble side and about 3/32” on the bass side of both pickups. You may season to taste if you wish.

Works well for me.

I use one of these: http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Straightedges/6_Steel_Rule.html?tab=Pictures (although a much cheaper one)
I start with the PRS measurements and see how that sounds thru my rig at band practice. Usually hotter bridge pickups I need to lower a hair, more vintage style I can leave higher. We play pretty loud, so that affects my pickup heights some. I suggest trying the PRS setup and adjust from there using your most frequent playing volume/amp/tone.

Thanks vchizzle for the reply... I just got one of the steel rulers from my wife who is in Quality Control at her job. After looking at your link she say`s " I have several of those at work" She has 1 less now...As far as my set up, that is basically what I did... That`s what so cool about playing guitar. "Chasing the perfect sound" I am pretty happy with what I have tweaked it to now. I plan on a new amp in Feb. ... start over again Ha ha Thanks again. JT

I use the old one-nickel-two-nickel rule. Hold the high E down on the last fret, put a nickel on the bridge pickup and play the string, making adjustments until the string barely clears the nickel. Same thing on the bass side with two nickels. Adjust the neck pickup by ear to match the volume output.

I use the old one-nickel-two-nickel rule. Hold the high E down on the last fret, put a nickel on the bridge pickup and play the string, making adjustments until the string barely clears the nickel. Same thing on the bass side with two nickels. Adjust the neck pickup by ear to match the volume output.

Never heard of that method, sounds cool.

Hey guys. new to the forum, and a first time PRS owner (way overdue). I just got an SE Bernie Marsden yesterday. So far I dig it a lot, but I feel there is a lot of volume inconsistency string-to-string, particularly on the bridge pickup. Forgive the stupid question, but aside from adjusting the height of the overall pickup, can you turn those screws on the pole pieces to adjust string-to-string balance? I'm a bass player by trade, and only play a little guitar in church. I've never had a pickups I had to adjust like that. I didn't know if it was possible, of if it would mess up the pickups. And what effect would it have (if any) on the other coil in the same pickup that doesn't have adjustable poles? Thanks!

Hey guys. new to the forum, and a first time PRS owner (way overdue). I just got an SE Bernie Marsden yesterday. So far I dig it a lot, but I feel there is a lot of volume inconsistency string-to-string, particularly on the bridge pickup. Forgive the stupid question, but aside from adjusting the height of the overall pickup, can you turn those screws on the pole pieces to adjust string-to-string balance? I'm a bass player by trade, and only play a little guitar in church. I've never had a pickups I had to adjust like that. I didn't know if it was possible, of if it would mess up the pickups. And what effect would it have (if any) on the other coil in the same pickup that doesn't have adjustable poles? Thanks!

Yep, the screw pole pieces are adjustable. I've always left mine at the same height but one day I'll get around to tinkering with that.

Yep, the screw pole pieces are adjustable. I've always left mine at the same height but one day I'll get around to tinkering with that.

Thanks, guys. It definitely helped to lower the pole on the B string bridge pickup. But it’s still a little prominent, and I’ve got it lowered almost flush with the top of the pickup. Might try changing the strings, if I decide to keep the guitar.

How high are you guys setting your pickups? (apart from the 2 nickel rule). Anybody got a measurement? When I dropped them to factory spec levels, it got really weak. Plus, you can’t drop the neck pickup to factory spec level without getting it below the mounting frame, which doesn’t seem right. But so far I’ve felt it’s pretty low output anyway, compared to my P90 guitar, at least. If I bring them too high, though, it gets nasally. Just curious what you’ve found the “right” height to be. I feel like I have to use my boost pedal to drive my FD2 enough, which seems wrong too.

With 57/08s, I always have to turn the low E string screw pole piece in (away from the string) about 1 full turn. Its to boomy for me stock
but gets just about perfect after that.

Last edited:
Wow, I was just thinking about asking the same question of you all today. Thanks to the OP. My high e/b strings are too hot. I have to be careful about my strike. Great to hear about the low e string as mine is booming as well. i

From the PRS Support website:

Pickup Height Adjustment

The pickups on your new instrument are fully adjustable by turning the height adjustment screws at each end of the pickup. With the high and low E strings (E and G strings for the Electric Bass) depressed at the last fret the measurement should about 2.5/32 (5/64”) on the treble side and about 3/32” on the bass side of both pickups. You may season to taste if you wish.

Works well for me.

the measurement between the pickup and the string?

Are the pickup height adjustments noted in the above post from the top of pickup to the string or from the string to the top of the pole piece?

it is not that easy but adjust the pup by tone.
only make 1/4 turns - you'll hear the difference.
to me it is the only way it works.

Years ago, I watched a Lindy Fralin pickup adjustment video. I follow him. Adjust the neck pickup until you like the way it sounds, then adjust the bridge pickup to a level that matches. Then I go back to the polepiece screws if I don`t like the balance. I`m surprised at how many people replace the pickups without adjusting them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2biWMx6q8U8

That's Lindy Fralin on adjusting pickups.

I've never really went that technical with it (yes, I'm saying that's technical). I've always used the 1 and 2 nickle method that is illustrated above. I also mainly used my bridge humbucker on gain channels, and the neck on clean, or both on clean. I would then adjust my amp's volume to match. This could save me a lot of headache and potentially this is something that I need to take care of.

Last edited:
Back