Pickup height adjustment..SOOO critical!! Everyone shoud do this...

I will try and unsolder one lug tonight and see what happens.

So, did you try removing one leg of the capacitor? When I took the leg off of mine I also changed the cap on the tone control to a (fairly industry standard) .022micro farad as there was a darker one fitted (I can't remember the value) probably to offset the effect of the reduction in bass frequency caused by the treble bleed mod

.... Actually, I'd have to check the value of the cap I put in. I think the .022 is standard for single coils and 250k ohm pots. Humbuckers and 500k ohms are different. Too many years since I've thought of it and my memories have faded!

So, did you try removing one leg of the capacitor? When I took the leg off of mine I also changed the cap on the tone control to a (fairly industry standard) .022micro farad as there was a darker one fitted (I can't remember the value) probably to offset the effect of the reduction in bass frequency caused by the treble bleed mod
Sorry, never had a chance last night. I got in late from work. The one I used on my Strat is a SPRAGUE Electric guitar pre wired 0.001uf treble bleed kit 150k resistor. On the PRS there is a 180pf cap. I wonder if that is where the dark sound is coming from. I love the blend of the two pickups, but the neck pickup is too dark for my liking.

I will post the results tomorrow.

I also found this online:

Treble Bleed Mod Round-up
Date: November 24, 2016
Author: DrKev

As a reference resource, I have collected the treble bleed capacitor and resistor combinations recommended by the the major guitar pickup manufacturers (and some guitar makers too). I am reproducing that list here. Below the list I have also included notes and additional information based on my research and experience. I hope you find it useful. Feel free to contact me with any questions or suggestions.

The Treble Bleed Modification List

(listed in order of increasing capacitor value, for no other reason than I have to choose something)
NB: Resistors are IN PARALLEL with their capacitor unless stated otherwise

PRS – 180 pF cap (500 kΩ volume pot, no parallel/series resistor).

Bill Lawrence – 330 pF capacitor & 80 kΩ resistor

Mojo Tone – 471 pF capacitor & 220 kΩ resistor

DiMarzio – 560 pF capacitor & 300 kΩ resistor

John Suhr – 680 pF capacitor & 150kΩ resistor

TV Jones – 1 nF capacitor & 150 kΩ resistor (2 nF cap suggested for 500 kΩ pot, humbucker)

Fender – 1.2 nF capacitor & 150 kΩ resistor in parallel, plus a 20 kΩ resistor in series.

Seymour Duncan – 1 nF capacitor & 100 kΩ resistor

Chris Kinman – 1.2 nF capacitor with 130 kΩ resistor in series!

Lindy Fralin – 2.5 nF capacitor & 200 kΩ resistor

If anyone has any other recommendations from other manufacturers to add, feel free to drop me a line and I’ll add it to the list!

Rule of thumb: If you use a 10 ft cable from your guitar, choose the Mojo, DiMarzio, or Suhr values. If you use a 30 ft cable choose one of the versions with 1 nF or 1.2 nf capacitor. See note 6 below.

Which will give a brighter sound? 180pf cap or a .001microF cap? Anyone knows?

Which will give a brighter sound? 180pf cap or a .001microF cap? Anyone knows?

If you want to brighten the neck pickup, you may want to take a different approach to playing around with the treble bleed values - as these are cutting signal from the bass end in order to brighten the sound, and changing the values to get the sound you want when the volume pot is on full might adversely affect the sound as the volume pot is reduced (taking too much bass out to make the sound thin). Instead maybe look at the value of the capacitor on the tone pot, as this is taking signal from the treble end of the output, so if you take less of the treble with a smaller value, you are actually getting more signal in your output.

I removed the treble bleed from my PRS because I wasn't keen on the sound when the volume was reduced, I felt it was cutting too much bass so that as the volume was turned down all I was left with was the mids and treble content. This meant I had a little bit more bass content in the signal even with the volume on full (as the treble bleed is always slightly working because of the resistance in the circuit/pot you can never get to 100% full volume) and so I reduced the value of the capacitor on the tone pot, which increased the treble content and restored the balance. I now have what would I consider to be fairly stock humbucker setup.

Having never done this - is there a good basic tutorial on it anywhere? I can adjust the screws on a p90 but beyond that, I'm not sure what I should be paying attention to.

Great thread! And, didn't know Tag used to hang here.

Having never done this - is there a good basic tutorial on it anywhere? I can adjust the screws on a p90 but beyond that, I'm not sure what I should be paying attention to.

I'm sure there's plenty written about it, but you could always just jump in and experiment. Maybe take some basic measurements first so you can go back, and maybe leave off adjusting the individual pole pieces, but the two screws to adjust the pickup height are fair game. Turn clockwise to get the pickup nearer the strings, anticlockwise for further away. The nearer the pickups to the strings, the higher the output, the further away the opposite. Experiment and see what happens both clean and with gain (you might prefer different heights for each). To note though, pickups have got big magnets in them, and your strings are made of metal, get them too close and the magnetic field of the pickup will affect the strings vibration and reduce your sustain and give nasty overtones.

Search youtube for "adjusting pole pieces"

"Spend an hour with each guitar you have adjusting the height of the pups and the pup screws both overdriven and clean. "

Well, I know what I'm doing Friday night after I get back in town. Thanks for the info. I would have to be brain dead not to learn something from you guys.

Hi all. Still no chance to unsolder one of the lugs of the 180pf cap. I promise I will do that on Friday evening as I have ordered a few caps as well to try and they will be delivered by then. I have also readup that a 0.047 cap between the hot side of the neck pickup and the neck vol pot will help brighten that pickup up. That cap has also been ordered.

one question I have though. In the current DGT wiring, there is a 0.022 cap betwwen the switch and the middle lug of the tone pot. Does anyone know if that is solely for the Neck pickup or does it have an effect on both neck and bridge since it is connected to the one tone pot that affects both pickups?

dgt.pdf

Un-soldering one of the legs of the 180pf cap won't brighten your neck pickup. Taking the treble bleed mod out of the circuit will only remove the effect you described at the beginning, where as you turn the volume down your tone gets brighter and thinner. In fact, removing the mod might add more bass frequencies in as these will marginally be being filtered out at the moment. If you like how the volume pot currently works and the sound as you turn it down, I'd leave it where it is at the moment.

Is your only concern brightening up the neck? I've never heard of the cap between pickup and vol pot so I have no idea what that would do for you.

The DGT has two volume pots right? Separate ones for the neck and bridge pickups? Or does it have separate tone pots?

Sounds like your 0.022 cap is the sole tone cap. You could try a smaller value, say 0.01uf, and that would lift a little brightness by shifting the frequency the tone pot works on - but it would also affect the bridge pickup and I thought you said that was already bright.

I would also recommend that you do it, through your main playing rig..set to your clean tone. Then alternate back and forth between your clean, and overdriven or distorted tone..if you use one. It may take you a session or two, due to ear fatigue, but it's worth it. It's important to do it at the volume that you play with on stage, or in the studio, or whatever application is normal for you. Also, one of my pet peeve's is some "expert" telling you to use their exact measurements to set up your guitar. Does that make any sense? Every guitar is different, and unique. Even two identical looking, and indentically appointed can be totally different sounding, and playing. You can use some manufacturer's recommended spec's as a starting point, but use your ears, to make the final adjustments. Of course, this is just my opinion..use your best judgement, for your equipment.

I would also recommend that you do it, through your main playing rig..set to your clean tone. Then alternate back and forth between your clean, and overdriven or distorted tone..if you use one. It may take you a session or two, due to ear fatigue, but it's worth it. It's important to do it at the volume that you play with on stage, or in the studio, or whatever application is normal for you. Also, one of my pet peeve's is some "expert" telling you to use their exact measurements to set up your guitar. Does that make any sense? Every guitar is different, and unique. Even two identical looking, and indentically appointed can be totally different sounding, and playing. You can use some manufacturer's recommended spec's as a starting point, but use your ears, to make the final adjustments. Of course, this is just my opinion..use your best judgement, for your equipment.
Fully agree with you. I love everything else about the guitar. I need to get that bridge pickup to sound exactly how i want it. Tomorrow evening is experiment time. Besides they are harmless experiments that are fully reversible.

Finally I have the sound I want:

1)replaced the original 180pf capacitors on both the Bridge and Neck pickups with a treble bleed circuit which has a resistor in parallel to a Capacitor

2) Changed the amp setting to match with the guitar

Now the sound is perfect. When rolling off the volume I no longer lose the bass. The sound is the same as volume on 10 except at a lower volume. Tone does not change.

Part of the muffled/dull neck pickup was due to my amp settings not being correct for the DGT. I experimented and now I have the DGT on steroids.

The value of the treble bleed kit was as follows:

mullard mustard 0.001uf capacitor and 150K resistor Guitar treble bleed kit very rare off ebay for around £2.50

gallery

https://jimtall32.wixsite.com/islandbrothers/gallery?lightbox=dataItem-jcwiuiiu

https://jimtall32.wixsite.com/islandbrothers/gallery?lightbox=dataItem-jcwiv5mw

Last edited:
Just dialed in my 85/15 neck pup last night. Didn't have enough clarity/zing (not sure how to describe exactly). I initially lowered the whole neck to be level with the pickup ring but that wasn't enough, so last night I lowered it a smidge more (maybe a half millimeter - not much) and raised the pole pieces (maybe a millimeter or two - didn't measure any of this but used my ears instead). Now it has plenty of clarity/zing.

Back