Pickup covers for 305

Tremolo arm

Does anyone use alternative covers? The stock covers look so cheap and plasticky - it's truly bewildering why PSR chose these for what is a beautiful guitar otherwise.

Can the covers be removed at least (thus exposing the coils)?

dont start me on covers! i have a 25 th anniversery mccarty NF, 10 top quilt. absoloutely breathtaking guitar, EXCEPT for the damn creme colored covers. i've asked, (almost begged) a couple different people at prs if i could buy some black covers. no dice. every time i look at the guitar it makes me flippin" crazy. I would clean paul's toilet's for a month for a black set. so i feel your pain, but, GET IN LINE BEHIND US NF PEOPLE!

Last edited:
Probably a stupid idea, but could they be painted with a thin coat of something so as not to muffle the tone?

I just had a look at mine (I have some floating around in my drawer) and it doesn't look like the top covers can be easily removed. They look to be an integral part of the pickup rather than just a cover like on regular pickups. Dancing Frog can prob comment more on this...

I don't mind the look of them but to each their own.

helmi - We're talking about covers and not rings here.

Seriously, just dye them. What have you got to lose? If it makes you lose your sheet like this surely it's worth a shot.

It's easy and cheap and I'll even send you my original creme ones if you screw it up.

See here for a good side shot:

prs305_pickups%20001_640x480.jpg

From http://djesmusic.com/mods/prs305_mod.html

Crap I never noticed that on The Raven!

IMG_0003_zpsb672e0a4.jpg

Umm you could always put 6 shiny round stickers on there to make them look like polepieces, you could even try to find "moons" which would be kinda cool...

Right, so the answer seems to be that it is not possible to change / remove the stock covers? I was hoping there would be some after market options.... Pity

Im surprised by how many people dislike the look of them. I know its not traditional, but I find it clean and stealthy like an SR71.

Im surprised by how many people dislike the look of them. I know its not traditional, but I find it clean and stealthy like an SR71.

I think that's the reason I don't care for the way they look, so Darth Vader... it also triggers the thought of them being active as well, even though I know they're not. The plastic covers just look a little out of place, or retro-modern if you will on a guitar from a company that has such beautiful metal and plastic work. I seriously get excited by the milled brass output jack plates and the lampshade knobs, the 408 rings look sharp too, I just think they missed the mark on their aesthetic choice for these... They do sound great though!

I didn't like the look at first. It was my only hesitation. I decided the guitar was so functional that it pushed me past that hangup. Now, I don't even think twice about it.

Iv'e gotten the same way the Brent Mason--I didn't like the shape and pickguard, but really want the flexibility of tone. It's become function over form (with form still being good).

I just had a look at mine (I have some floating around in my drawer) and it doesn't look like the top covers can be easily removed. They look to be an integral part of the pickup rather than just a cover like on regular pickups. Dancing Frog can prob comment more on this...

Seriously, just dye them. What have you got to lose? If it makes you lose your sheet like this surely it's worth a shot.

It's easy and cheap and I'll even send you my original creme ones if you screw it up.

MY BAD. SORRY. ( and i haven't had a drink for years!)

The covers provide structural support for the magnet on which the wire is wound directly. There are no bobbins in a 513 pick up.

It's 1460, the height of the Italian Renaissance. Lodovico is perusing the stock of guitars and vihuelas hanging at the local luthiery. He pulls a few off the hooks, plays them, and calls the luthier Commendo over.

Lodovico: I like dig these guitars, dude, but what is up with the big round holes in the top? They're not very cool.

Commendo: Look man, the holes are called sound holes, and they allow the sound resonating inside the body of the guitar to escape and help the guitar project. The hole makes the guitar, you know, louder. It's all about the sound, dude. Our touring artists really love the sound hole, and we are all about tone. So we only build them with the holes in the top.

Lodovico: Well, couldn't you make something with an F hole, like on a violin?

Commendo: Nah. Doesn't happen for like 450 years or so until Gibson hires Lloyd Loar. Not gonna happen for awhile. I don't mess with the flow of history. I just make 'em the way I think they sound good.

Lodovico: Well, I'm digging the decor on this one, the inlays of pearl and ivory and such. What if you made something cool to stick in this sound hole thing?

Commendo: Kind of defeats the purpose, doesn't it, man? Might as well not put a hole in the top.

Lodovico: Yeah, but what if you put holes all over it? Wouldn't that let the sound through?

Commendo: Hmmm, that might be a good idea. But it'll cost extra. You can only get custom stuff in our Private Stock Department. If you want one like that, I'll have to talk to our head of the PS department and fill out the form.

Lodovico: What comes with Private Stock?

Commendo: Are you kidding me? Anything you want! Except it has to have a sound hole. Of course, we can design something for the hole that you might go for.

Lodovico: Hmmm. Let me talk to the guy. Have you got any samples of his work?

Commendo: Just look at our book of paintings of his other PS guitars. (Hands Lodovico a leather bound book and yells) Hey, Paulo, come out here and talk to this dude!

(A young curly haired guy with spectacles emerges from the workshop covered in sawdust with a big grin)

Paulo: Hi, Paulo here. I'd like to talk about our Private Stock program and some new things we're releasing...

Last edited:
Crap I never noticed that on The Raven!

IMG_0003_zpsb672e0a4.jpg

Umm you could always put 6 shiny round stickers on there to make them look like polepieces, you could even try to find "moons" which would be kinda cool...

Holy cow!!! I had totally missed that one, that's absolutely fantastic!!! :D

Well said, Mike! I love them for the same reason, reminds me of our sleek and stealthy aircraft! :)

Back