Pickup advice

horax

im finding the Korean #7’s to be a bit muddy.

I have an S2 singlecut standard as seen in el avatar.

What would you suggest for a less muddy, more defined, tone? Also, I’d like to keep the ability to cool split if possible.

I have an S2 Standard 24 and I put Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pros in.. Would have liked to go with 57/08 or another PRS pup but $$$.

And if going that far, spend the extra $20 and replace the Pots and CAP

I have an S2 Standard 24 and I put Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pros in.. Would have liked to go with 57/08 or another PRS pup but $$$.

And if going that far, spend the extra $20 and replace the Pots and CAP

Can't go wrong with those....

I am all about 57/08s. Every guitar I own with those pickups is a tonal beast. They just allow the natural sound of the guitar to happen. Because of that, each guitar has its own character shine through, and the tone is about the guitar more so than the pickups.

Especially if you can find some of the older non-etched ones ;) I agree with Hans those are really special!

Oh, for sure. I have two sets of those, and the guitar with them is magical. One is part of the 1957/2008 Limited Run (SC245). Everything about that guitar is pure perfection. The other set is waiting for the "right" guitar - I'm thinking it's gonna be my CE24 SH, but I haven't committed yet. It's not hurting them to sit in a box waiting for the right guitar to come along....

Oh, for sure. I have two sets of those, and the guitar with them is magical. One is part of the 1957/2008 Limited Run (SC245). Everything about that guitar is pure perfection. The other set is waiting for the "right" guitar - I'm thinking it's gonna be my CE24 SH, but I haven't committed yet. It's not hurting them to sit in a box waiting for the right guitar to come along....

I put my set in my Korina Mira. Completely changed that guitar! It's exactly as it should be now.

Used 85/15 “S” pickups — keep it S2-like.

Lollar Imperials haven’t been mentioned and are pretty good for a reasonable price point but 57/08s would be my first choice if budget allows.

For me, I'd have a tough time switching out pickups because I'd have no idea exactly how the new pickup and guitar combo would sound, and what the real difference would be. Unfortunately, YouTube videos are not always a good indication.

-k

Replaced mine with Dimarzio D Activator X set on my S2 Standard. Opted for parallel than splits.

cool thing happened last night.
I was messign with two amps (vox ac15 and bassbreaker 15) so I could A/B them and see which one I preferred with different guitars.

Cool thing was when I play I usually dime everything on the guitar to keep it simple. However, last night I started messing with teh coil split options
and found some REAL sweet spots. Bridge humbucker with neck as single coil, tone rolled to 6 on the bridge with volume at 8 but neck volume at 10 with tone at 10....dang it sounded good!

Might not needd to swap them out after all...time will tell.

Back