Picking up radio station on 2 channel H

Vexed73

I have tried different cords, outlets, and guitars. When I go straight into the effects loop return no radio station. So somewhere between input jack and effects return I am picking up a classic sould station. Amp otherwise sounds and reacts great? Any ideas?

So you get this only when you roll down the guitar volume?

Email support. They'll help you. I know enough about amps to know this one is not something I'd attempt to answer, but they can help you!

The preamp section of an amp increases the volume of an instrument’s signal significantly more than an effects return. So if you’re plugging the guitar into the effects return it still could be a cable, a ground loop, the guitar’s pickups, or lots of other causes that simply aren’t being sufficiently amplified by the loop return to hear.

A microphonic tube can pick up RFI, a dirty tube socket, heck the power lines can pick up RFI.

What I’d do to see if it’s originating in the amp::

Disconnect any pedals and the guitar, turn the amp on, turn up the volume, and see if the RFI happens. If not, it’s pretty likely it isn’t the amp. If yes, check the tubes. If it isn’t the tubes you might also want to eliminate the cable to the speaker as a possible culprit.

Replaced v1 and same. Did notice if I turn gain all the way up with bright switch on no radio station. If gain is turned all the way up and bright switch turned off no radio station but a gosh awful squeal that goes away if I play a C7 but is constant whether cord plugged in or not. Could still be a preamp tube but will crack open later today and see if anything looks wrong in there.

Replaced v1 and same. Did notice if I turn gain all the way up with bright switch on no radio station. If gain is turned all the way up and bright switch turned off no radio station but a gosh awful squeal that goes away if I play a C7 but is constant whether cord plugged in or not. Could still be a preamp tube but will crack open later today and see if anything looks wrong in there.

Sounds to me like a microphonic preamp tube. You probably know how to check for that already, so I won’t bother you with the usual procedures.

Smart @$$ comments makes life a little better. In my opinion.
Yes, once you know people it makes things more fun. Sorry for breaking it out a little too early. Contact PRS, get that fixed, then put up some clips. Hang out. Be one of the boys. Statistically speaking from forum analytics, there is then a 13% chance we’ll become buddies!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm situated on a hill almost 400 feet above the surrounding geography and I'm pretty sure I pick up a radio station on every tube amp I own. I've gotten used to it.

Back in the old days, a radio was a big box full of tubes which consisted of the radio transmitter/receiver portion and the amplification portion. Very loosely explained, our (tube) guitar amps are basically the amplifier portion of an old fashioned radio.

I could try a shielded cable to try and avoid the cable acting as an antenna but, well, that would cost money. So, I just crank them up and play. But my experience is not like a Spinal Tap moment at the AFB; the radio can only be heard quietly when I stop playing.

I'm on the top floor up of a 4 level apartment. My MT15 was picking up RFI when I used the effects loop. The loop was also very noisy whenever it was activated.

I replaced the designated effects loop 12AX7 and the problem went away.

It may not apply to you, but for a few years I lived at the top of Marina City in Chicago. A round concrete structure. Over that time I put many amps, low and high end, into it and all played a latin radio station although some only at high preamp levels. There are some buildings and locations where this just happens. Other suggestions are bad tubes, etc., but if you try all that and it's still doing it, it may be location. I moved one block over and 25 floors down and for the last few years the amps have been largely whisper quiet.

Forgot to update. Its not the amp it's the new house. Have had a Mark V, EVH 5150, and tremonti start doing it when wife told me which corner I was allowed. Lol. Doesn't bother me now that I know nothing is wrong with amp.

Last edited:
Back