Pickguards Galore!

markd21

Well, not totally. I did leave two of my pickguarded PRS guitars out of the pictures. The EG 3 and the Brent Mason understood though. Today's photoshoot was ALL about S2 guitars!! You have seen all of these before, but I have never grouped them together.

I am kind of bummed at the quality of the pics...I just couldn't get the ISO and lighting "right" today. I snapped 27 shots, and most were washed out or out of focus enough that they sucked. Anyway, here's what we've got....

* An "Eriza Metallic Test" Standard 22. I am guessing this is what became Champagne Gold. I got it from Dave's Guitars. It was one of my first PRS guitars, and the one that I totally fell it love with. I got a CE22 right around the same time, but this S2 crushed it!!!

* Next we have the "Color of the Month" Standard Single. This one was a Satin Aqua. I worked the finish until there was a gloss over the entire guitar. It's a beauty - and one of my favorites.

* Following the SC, we have the Studio that has been the topic of recent threads. I still haven't bonded with this one. I am hoping I do because it plays so nicely.

* Lastly there is the Vela. I have not been able to put this one down. I opted for a classic 'burst finish....in this case McCarty Tobacco Burst. I changed the 'guard to mint green and popped some brown chicken head knobs on there. Everything about this guitar is PERFECT. It is SOOOOOO much fun to play and really eclipses the other 3. That's saying a lot because each of these S2 guitars scream with tone.

Well, on to the group pics. This was a tough session to do because the gold guitar kept wanting to fall over!!! Eventually I had to use stands. I try not to, but that darn gold guitar just didn't want to stay put!!

Bah!! I didn't want the EG 3 or the BM to feel left out, so......

Here's my 1990 EG 3. This guitar is a BEAST!!!! It is loaded with the Duncan Jimi Hendrix pickup set wired to a "64 Blues" harness that is set up like the Silver Sky. Couple that with a Mil-Com bridge, an alder body, a wide-thin neck and you have a WINNER!! Not a big fan of the color, but it's in really great shape for its age.

Now, here's the guitar PRS SHOULD re-release as the "Studio". I will admit it took a little while for this one to grow on me - mostly because I wanted "Tele" tones, and they aren't there. This guitar is a super-strat through-and-through. It is a tonal beast with an ultra comfy neck. If you EVER have the chance to play/buy one - do it!!!!

I feel like you need a Mira to complete your S2 pickguarded guitar collection. ;)

Awesome collection as it is, though. S2 are such amazing guitars. They sound and play beautifully and unique.

new-dia-skull-book-1-l_1.png

Life goal.

I feel like you need a Mira to complete your S2 pickguarded guitar collection. ;)

Awesome collection as it is, though. S2 are such amazing guitars. They sound and play beautifully and unique.

Thanks!!

You know, I really want a Mira Semi Hollow. I think it would be cool - I already know how I'd mod one. It'd have to "do" something different than the other guitars. I have some Fralin Twangmasters sitting in the box that could go into a Mira. Hmmm.....

Funny, though...after doing this shoot I packed the S2s up and dug out the DGT, lol. While the DGT is a SUPREMELY awesome guitar, the feel between it and the S2s are right there.

Really digging that Aqua SC! Terrific photos as always and killer collection!

Back