Pickguard for core Mira

The pearloid pickguard on my core Mira has the same discoloration around the switch.
It definitely has to be some sort of chemical reaction between the materials used to make the toggle and pickguard. Thanks for all the insight and help everyone!

The only aftermarket part on it is the Mannmade bridge. Or are you suggesting I get the switch you mentioned?

well, you know, anything that wouldn’t stain the pearloid. i haven’t actually looked for one, and the only nonmetallic switches i’ve seen are waferboard bladed. guitar looks great in any case.

well, you know, anything that wouldn’t stain the pearloid. i haven’t actually looked for one, and the only nonmetallic switches i’ve seen are waferboard bladed. guitar looks great in any case.

FWIW, I have pearloid pickguards on several guitars with 5-way blades and none of them exhibit this stained behavior. Not even my '93 EG-III. (BTW, I just checked it out and the actual pearloid has some slightly warmer areas, and that's what you're seeing here). So I think it was this run of Core Miras. Could be wrong, but..

rSDQykh.jpg

FWIW, I have pearloid pickguards on several guitars with 5-way blades and none of them exhibit this stained behavior. Not even my '93 EG-III. (BTW, I just checked it out and the actual pearloid has some slightly warmer areas, and that's what you're seeing here). So I think it was this run of Core Miras. Could be wrong, but..

rSDQykh.jpg
I definitely think you’re onto something. The common denominator is core Mira with pearloid pickguard.

I definitely think you’re onto something. The common denominator is core Mira with pearloid pickguard.

Indeed, but not just one run of Miras - mine's a 2010, and I know yours and the other one mentioned earlier are both 08.

Indeed, but not just one run of Miras - mine's a 2010, and I know yours and the other one mentioned earlier are both 08.
Yeah it must be some specific material/element used to make the switch reacting weirdly with the compounds that make up the pickguard whether it be oxidization or some other sort of chemical reaction. I’m not sure if the core Mira, whether it be an ‘08 or ‘10, used a different branded toggle that was made from different materials/elements than what is used on other models. If so, then the theory has to be correct. I’ll look into it at some point today.

Yeah it must be some specific material/element used to make the switch reacting weirdly with the compounds that make up the pickguard whether it be oxidization or some other sort of chemical reaction. I’m not sure if the core Mira, whether it be an ‘08 or ‘10, used a different branded toggle that was made from different materials/elements than what is used on other models. If so, then the theory has to be correct. I’ll look into it at some point today.

Just noticed the other difference in switches - the other switch posted above that doesn't display the oxidation is a 5-way, as opposed to the Mira's 3-way.

Just noticed the other difference in switches - the other switch posted above that doesn't display the oxidation is a 5-way, as opposed to the Mira's 3-way.
YES. Now we’re really getting somewhere. I’m glad I joined this forum! All of these years and I didn’t know about this gem. Thank you all! On another note, I’m truly surprised I’ve never seen the topic at hand discussed before. I’m sure it has somewhere but not that I’ve seen. Especially with it seeming to be pretty common when certain factors are in place. I guess that might just be due to the Mira’s lack of popularity and/or amount of time spent in production compared to pretty much every other core model.

it matches the gold hardware, rock it

great looking guitar, I'd never seen a white Mira before, think its my favourite colour now

IMG-1609.jpg

This is my 08 Mira.
Not a pearloid pick guard - BUT - it does have the same 3-way switch.
Other than the case fuzz, clean as a whistle.
Starting to look like the pearloid pick guard doesn't play well with the switch.

Back