Pickguard for core Mira

AaronHerrick

*buys nice gear to make up for lack of skill*
I’m having trouble trying to locate a new pickguard for my core ‘08 Mira. I’m pretty sure the S2 version won’t fit but I’m not completely positive. Any suggestions?

You could have one made. They just copy the one you already have. I’ve had that done locally in Rhode Island by Noll Guitars. I’m sure they would do it for you if you mail them your old one.

www.nollguitars.com

WKhTfqU.jpg
ZVVCdXn.jpg
Qfebnp9.jpg

I was really hoping to replace it with another pearloid one because of the discoloration by the toggle but after looking everywhere, I can only find black unfortunately. Nobody can think of a definite reason as to why it it ended up that way over time though so maybe pearloid isn’t the best option.

Hmm... rust?
That’s what I was initially thinking but apparently it’s not. I actually just bought it from someone and it’s shipping to me at the moment so I haven’t had the opportunity to go full on cocaine fueled Sherlock Holmes on it just yet but I am sure it’s purely aesthetic. I may be able to clean it up myself but not sure yet. The original owner didn’t want to risk scuffing it up by trying himself. I shall find out Tuesday though.

WKhTfqU.jpg
ZVVCdXn.jpg
Qfebnp9.jpg

I was really hoping to replace it with another pearloid one because of the discoloration by the toggle but after looking everywhere, I can only find black unfortunately. Nobody can think of a definite reason as to why it it ended up that way over time though so maybe pearloid isn’t the best option.

guitar looks fantastic.

Glad you are getting what you want. When you have the old one back, you might try to buff the discoloration out with 000 steel wool.

Glad you are getting what you want. When you have the old one back, you might try to buff the discoloration out with 000 steel wool.
Well my plan is to try and do that first thing so I could possibly avoid having a new one made. I’m just assuming I won’t be able to since the original owner didn’t do it.

WKhTfqU.jpg
ZVVCdXn.jpg
Qfebnp9.jpg

That’s hot!!!

WKhTfqU.jpg
Qfebnp9.jpg

WOW. That is EXACTLY what my 2008 mint green Mira looks like, with the "rusty" toggle area (and with the discoloration clearly on the bottom, coming up and through).

I've also seen this same exact discoloration on several more Miras over the years (via online photos), so many in fact that a Mira recall would almost seem to be in order! I see a pearloid 'guard Core Mira online, and I always check out that toggle area... and I'm never surprised to see it. I'm betting there was something funky going on with the metal of those particular toggles against that particular pearloid composition that year, but whadda I know? I bet AP515's steel wool suggestion would help, at least without looking at it too closely afterwards... but then again, it would appear that the discoloration might be bleeding out thru the entire material. Hmm.

As for eBay availability, there was definitely one seller (I bookmarked the page back in '16 and do still recheck every now and then) who had several pearloid ones on hand for quite some time (maybe ten in stock). Duh... I kept thinking about getting one... and I waited too long—and then suddenly (and apparently in one day), they were all gone. Oh, well, right?

Pickguard Planet (a division of Chandler Guitars in Northern California) appears to offer them at this page... https://www.pickguardplanet.com/pickguards-prs-guitars/. I might buy one from them at some point, but I'll also be sure at the time to replace my original blade switch, too.

Hope this helps.

WOW. That is EXACTLY what my 2008 mint green Mira looks like, with the "rusty" toggle area (and with the discoloration clearly on the bottom, coming up and through).

I've also seen this same exact discoloration on several more Miras over the years (via online photos), so many in fact that a Mira recall would almost seem to be in order! I see a pearloid 'guard Core Mira online, and I always check out that toggle area... and I'm never surprised to see it. I'm betting there was something funky going on with the metal of those particular toggles against that particular pearloid composition that year, but whadda I know? I bet AP515's steel wool suggestion would help, at least without looking at it too closely afterwards... but then again, it would appear that the discoloration might be bleeding out thru the entire material. Hmm.

As for eBay availability, there was definitely one seller (I bookmarked the page back in '16 and do still recheck every now and then) who had several pearloid ones on hand for quite some time (maybe ten in stock). Duh... I kept thinking about getting one... and I waited too long—and then suddenly (and apparently in one day), they were all gone. Oh, well, right?

Pickguard Planet (a division of Chandler Guitars in Northern California) appears to offer them at this page... https://www.pickguardplanet.com/pickguards-prs-guitars/. I might buy one from them at some point, but I'll also be sure at the time to replace my original blade switch, too.

Hope this helps.
It definitely helps thanks. It’s reassuring to hear that it appears to be a normal occurrence with core Mira’s. I mean it’s a bummer still but I guess it’s also reassuring at the same time lol? I’m going to do some more research on it when I get the chance and I’ll let you know if I find anything interesting!

WKhTfqU.jpg
ZVVCdXn.jpg
Qfebnp9.jpg

The pearloid pickguard on my core Mira (2010) has the same discoloration around the switch.

Back