Pick-ups

I actually decided to install Fralin Modern PAF in the bridge for my 594 DC. Can’t wait to install it in a few weeks.

We all do it, and there is no shame in it. What I've learned after a bunch of pickup swaps (with a bias toward clean tones):

59/09's sound full and rich in just about any tremolo-tail guitar. (Their attack is pretty fast, so they can sound brittle on hardtails).

85/15 S's have a soft attack that sits beautifully in a mix. The Treble/bridge pup is also nicely free of honk. (I've swapped these on to tame 3 brittle-sounding Les Paul-style guitars, including a gorgeous PRS SE 245.)

Starla Treble sounds nice and bright in an all-mahogany guitar. Like a hum-free Telecaster bridge pup.

Vintage Bass has a very fast attack, and (given the name) a surprising amount of upper transients.

Anything higher-priced in PRS core pickups is above my pay grade, and I don't want to know how good they sound.

DiMarzio PAF Pros (mentioned earlier in this thread) are like 85/15 S's, with a bit more of everything. They're affordable, and supposedly Alnico 5, but they have a presence layer that softens everything to an almost semi-acoustic shimmer. They masquerade as Alnico 2. Can work as both neck and bridge pups. I have an SE Custom 22 with these, and an SE Custom 22 with stock 85/15 S's, and they're now my two favorite guitars.

Seymour Duncan 59/Custom Hybrid is an interesting bridge pup. Bright, but with ample mids. Can sound a bit angry, but splits to an authentic single-coil tone and output level (because its unmatched coils are 7KΩ and 4KΩ).

Seymour Duncan P-Rails offer relatively quiet P-90 tone, plus a dark humbucker tone and a thinner single-coil option. Install them with SD Triple Shot rings to get all three options, plus a parallel option that's bright and loud.

In general, vintage PAF–inspired pickups (SD 59 or Pearly Gates, Gibson 57 Classic, etc.) can sound scrawny on shallow-bodied PRS guitars. They're voiced with a scoop, to complement Les Pauls (so they sound fine on PRS singlecuts). On shallower PRSi, you want more mids – so PRS and DiMarzios are generally good choices.

Last edited:
All PRS pickups are as issued in mine, ranging from ‘99 through ‘21. I have thought about swapping out the Archtops in my HB Spruces, not because they sound bad, but because they are more low-end pronounced than most of my other pickups. But with the amp set for them, they wail… which is likely why their solder remains unmolested.

Really, that explains my preferences pretty succinctly. While some hear a golden tone, and swap pickups so their guitars sound most like that sound in their head, I take some fun in the inspiration the personality of a guitar brings, and in seeing where it takes me. Not a better or worse way to do it at all, it’s just my way.

All PRS pickups are as issued in mine, ranging from ‘99 through ‘21. I have thought about swapping out the Archtops in my HB Spruces, not because they sound bad, but because they are more low-end pronounced than most of my other pickups. But with the amp set for them, they wail… which is likely why their solder remains unmolested.

Really, that explains my preferences pretty succinctly. While some hear a golden tone, and swap pickups so their guitars sound most like that sound in their head, I take some fun in the inspiration the personality of a guitar brings, and in seeing where it takes me. Not a better or worse way to do it at all, it’s just my way.
What you're probably hearing is the authentic sound of a spruce top and a hollow body, both of which emphasize low-end frequencies. The pickups are just doing their job in conveying that. Glad you didn't shoot the messengers!

I almost put Abraxas in the bridge of McCarty. 58/15 LT bridge seems a little weak for my liking but the neck is gorgeous.
Oh I agree!! I put a set of 8515s in my 2000 McCarty and the second I strummed the guitar in the neck position I was hooked for life! When I switched to bridge pickup I was thoroughly disappointed.

I always look at pics of guitars with 8515/5815 and bridge pickup is almost always set really high to compete with neck pickup.

It's not because neck pickup is super bassy or anything like that but its just so full sounding and I love it!

Although I have only just gotten my first PRS, my Lefty core came with Dragon II humbuckers and I absolutely love them! I have no plans of ever changing them!
I had a cu22 with dragon 2s. I thought they were pretty decent. I traded it to a forum member here and I wish I had it back!

Oh I agree!! I put a set of 8515s in my 2000 McCarty and the second I strummed the guitar in the neck position I was hooked for life! When I switched to bridge pickup I was thoroughly disappointed.

I always look at pics of guitars with 8515/5815 and bridge pickup is almost always set really high to compete with neck pickup.

It's not because neck pickup is super bassy or anything like that but its just so full sounding and I love it!
I put a cover on an 85/15 bridge pup, and it sounds better balanced with the 85/15 neck pup on the same guitar. Costs less than a pickup swap.

I actually like the bright sound of an uncovered 85/15 by itself, but if you're switching pickups during a song...most PRS guitars have only one tone pot, so both pups need to share one setting there. This compromise works for me.

I have been playing PRS for 20 years now and in that time have definitely done a number of pickup swaps. Back in the early through late 00's I was playing alot of metal and it was pretty automatic that I would swap out to an aftermarket pickup....whether the guitar needed it or not.

Like alot of folks, I really felt the xx/xx series of pickups were a game changer for PRS and I was blown away the first time I tried a 57/08 guitar (McCarty). A little later, I acquired a 2015 Artist McCarty with the original 58/15's and was again blown away. From then on I decided to swap back to PRS pickups. So, as of now, all my PRS guitars have PRS pickups.

I have changed them on three of mine but left the rest of them stock.

I changed the pickups in my 06 SAS to 57/08 pickups. I love these pickups.
I changed the pickups in my 06 Custom 22 to 57/08 pickups. Did I mention I love these pickups?
I changed the pickups in my 16 McCarty 594 to 57/08 pickups. Did I mention I love...you get it.

I originally changed the pickups in the SAS to a set of Fralin Unbuckers with a reverse wound Blues Special in the middle to get more accurate single coil sounds with better sounding 2 and 4 positions. It had a good result. However, I was able to pick up a set of 57/08s out of a limited run guitar and bought them to put in the SAS. I really like the result so I left it that way. I don't remember disliking the stock pickups. Thos may go back in some day. I still have them.

I was not a big fan of the Dragon II pickups in the CU22. I found them a bit harsh on the top end and they didn't play nice with the settings I was running on my amps and pedals compared to my other guitars. I had the 57/08s installed by the PTC when they did their first pickup promotion. What a difference. It fixed everything I didn't like about the sound of the guitar. I still have the stock pickups and would possibly include them or put them back in if I ever sell it.

I liked the sound of the LT pickups in my 594 but I really disliked the volume drop off when switching guitars at gigs. It finally got me to the point where I decided something had to change. I swapped that over to 57/08s and haven't looked back. It sounds great and plays well with my other guitars now. I kept the LT pickups in case I change my mind down the road or decide to sell the guitar.

So I dug the Archtops in my Spruce HB, but I put in an old 57/08 & 59/09 and it took it to a whole different level.

JOHE8pG.jpg

I really dig the Abraxas pickups. The bridge is fairly hot. I find it to be in the same ilk as the Dragon II bridge pickup in my Custom 22. The neck pickup is absolutely gorgeous with a nice smooth balanced tone.

I've only changed out the pickups on my '06 McCarty with a Naylor Railhammer Hyper Vintage set. Both my DGT and DC 594 have the stock PRS pickups. Here's the McCarty with the Railhammer set, they are wonderfully percussive and do get to that "good, sweet Tele clarity". I got these when Joe Naylor first introduced the Railhammer series for a stupid low introductory price and there were no covers available for them at that time.
nzd9qbL.jpg

Last edited:
Just curious. How many of you have changed the pickups in your PRS guitar?
I recently swapped my PRS SE Custom 24 stock pickups(85/15s) with Bare Knuckle Pickups The Mule in the neck and a Riff Raff in the bridge. They sound better overall, but the difference in dynamics is what really impressed me. They are less muddy overall. I liked the 85/15s but the sound never really blew me away. The BKP pickups have fixed that however.

Obviously some pickups are dramatically different than others--but I am always curious when people change from one very good model, to another very similar model. I always wonder if they tried adjusting the heights and individual pole pieces. Strikes me that it is quite possibly the easiest (and frequently best) way to dial in preferred tones and a lot of guys never touch them. Easy to do and totally (and easily) reversable. Take a screwdiriver and turn the height adjustment screws a measured amount (like 1/2 a turn) strum. Turn it back. strum. go both directions. Like the sound on all but one string? Adjust that indivual pole peice till you like it. Bam--new pickups. Too dark, raise them. To bright, lower them. Easiest mod that can be done to a humbucker equipped guitar. They are--after all--not exaclty high tech pieces of electronics. A plastic bobbin, turns of wire, and magnets. You can take them out, put them back in, flip the magnet, raise and lower them--then undo all of that in only a few min all while keeping the guitar stock and entirely unmolested.

Back