Pick-ups

DRBDJSM this is also true for modding other parts. Just watched a video of someone swapping out a CE bridge, because it was brighter than a Core model. $200 project. I achieved the same tonal result lowering my pickups!

DRBDJSM this is also true for modding other parts. Just watched a video of someone swapping out a CE bridge, because it was brighter than a Core model. $200 project. I achieved the same tonal result lowering my pickups!
totally blows my mind. I (personally) think we are DRAMATICALLY overthinking humbucking pickups. They are really not overly complicated devices. Obvously there are different magnets but even then, swapping magnets is not hard--nor expensive. If someone gave me a well made pickup (Gibson, SD, PRS, etc) I really like my odds of making that pickup sound acceptable with only a screwdriver. Toss in a box of magnets (costing a few dollars each) and I nearly guarantee it! When, for example, contemplating going from one PAF ish sounding pickup to another PAF sounding pickup--first just take out a screwdriver--it is really NOT very hard.

Ive got a wood library 24 that i love but the original owner changed then from 57/08 to hfs bass… id love to get it back to how it was

I love all the pickups in all my guitars, but I have all core with the exception of my S2 Vela and 2022 Zach Myers. The Vela, though, love the pickups, so they stay!
Although, it's funny I found this thread because I am considering pickup and electronics upgrades on my ZM. It's not that they are bad, just you can tell they aren't "core" level. And the toggle isn't that great either. I just don't know enough about pickups to pick a good one yet, although I feel drawn to Fralin pickups for some reason. And there is no way I would attempt to do all the work myself. Just not a mechanic. I'll do my own setups, but that's about as far as I go.

I've changed all the pickups in every McCarty I've owned. The Dragon I treble in my '95 CE22 Maple Top was a keeper, but the neck pickup wasn't. Every guitar that had 57/08 remained stock. Haven't tried any of the newer guitars or pickups.

I'm swapping out the bridge humbucker in my s2 Vela semi hollow. It's just unfamiliar sounding and cold to my ear. I ordered a Lollar Novel T hoping it will mate up with the single coil neck pickup which I like a lot and give me a beefy tele. Will find out next week.

My 3 core models I totally leave alone…….
my Santana SE I changed out to a set of 245’s
fwiw, Lp #1 has a set of Dragon 2’s in it….
Lp #2 has a set of 59/09’s in it….
apparently I love PRS pickups over everything else I’ve tried over the years

I just swapped out the stock P90 pickups in my Mira 25th Anniversary for some Wolfetone P90’s. Wow…what an improvement!
Did that with my mccarty p90. In-cre-di-ble. Very affordable, perfect service and great sounding PUs.

Did you go for mean-meaner? I went for mean-underwound mean.

I did go Mean and Meaner. I love the combo.

What I found interesting is that my stock bridge pickup was a true Seymour Duncan(stamped baseplate) but the neck pickup has a blank baseplate with PRS sticker and model numbers.

I have only swapped out the pickups in 3 of mine. I have been thinking about putting the stock pickups back in one of them. I didn't dislike them but wanted the guitar to do something a little different. The pickups that are in it now, are honestly not that far from what was in it stock. I changed them twice and the second change took it back in the direction of what it was stock. The other two, I can't see me changing them back unless I decide to sell the guitars.

Back