Pick ups for custom 22

ZeroCertezze

Hello, I'm new here and I'm sorry if this topic (as I think) has been already discussed. I have a Custom 22 with Dragoon II. They seems to be too "dark" for me. I would like to replace them with pu more "vintage style". What kind of pick up should I install to have a bright and "vintage" sound (preferably with "low output")? By the way, I noticed that some pick up don't fit in the PRS hole.

58/15s are also a good option if you can find them. I know a lot of guys have had great success with other 3rd party pickups too, like Seymour Duncan, Bareknuckle, etc. As far as sizing, any normal sized humbucker should fit in there. The only issues I've ever seen would be related to the length of the adjustment screws that hold the pickup in place. I've seen cases where the screws can be too long for the cavity, but that really shouldn't be an issue if you use the screws that are already in the guitar currently.

58/15s are also a good option if you can find them. I know a lot of guys have had great success with other 3rd party pickups too, like Seymour Duncan, Bareknuckle, etc. As far as sizing, any normal sized humbucker should fit in there. The only issues I've ever seen would be related to the length of the adjustment screws that hold the pickup in place. I've seen cases where the screws can be too long for the cavity, but that really shouldn't be an issue if you use the screws that are already in the guitar currently.

Yep, this. Pickups should fit without issue. It's the long screws that can be an issue. Just use the old ones, or clip the new ones if they're too long. Personally speaking, I replaced the Dragon II's in my Cu22 with a 59/09 in the bridge and a 57/08 in the neck. Can't tell you how they sound because it's on the truck for delivery today! Coming back from the PTC.

I also installed a set of Bare Knuckle Abraxas in my SE Bernie. Really like them.

I had a Gibson 57 at home and the problem was the height of the pick up. So the seats for the pick up for Les Paul are deeper than those of the PRS (I apologies if my English isn't correct but I hope it's clear what I mean).

Last edited:
It seems that 57/8 are not available in the PRS shop online, so the only option would be the 59/09

It seems that 57/8 are not available in the PRS shop online, so the only option would be the 59/09

That would be true. The only way to get your hands on 57/08 would be sending it it PRS and having the PTC do it. You could also try eBay or Reverb as they show up for sale there from time to time.

Mine's got a DGT in the bridge and a Dragon 2 in the neck. Never gonna give them up, never gonna change them out, never gonna run around, changing pickups.

MTMzMzMxMjIxNTE3MjM0MTQ2.jpg

To the second point, as others have said, make sure you get "short leg" pickups. Do not get pickups that have "long legs" because they won't work.

Back