Pick up covers for PRS 85/15 S? Locking tuners?

Morey Celton

Hi everyone, I'm brand new to the PRS family. I've always but a Telecaster and Les Paul player. But glad to have just picked up a SE SemiHollow :) So far I really like the feel of it. I have never been a fan of exposed hum buckers, and not digging the creme color either, so I am going to install chrome or nickel covers on my PRS 85/15 S pickups. Does anyone know where I can pick these up? I have covered a Tele pickup before and found it to be super simple. From watching youtube videos it seems to be about the same way with these. I just need to make sure I purchase the right covers because of the trembuckers. Thank you in advance for your help with this!

I also would like to upgrade to the PRS locking tuners. Has anyone else upgraded their SE guitar and found that they are a perfect fit and work well? Again, much appreciation for your help

-Morey

Last edited:
Hi everyone, I'm brand new to the PRS family. I've always but a Telecaster and Les Paul player. But glad to have just picked up a SE SemiHollow :) So far I really like the feel of it. I have never been a fan of exposed hum buckers, and not digging the creme color either, so I am going to install chrome or nickel covers on my
PRS 85/15 S pickups. Does anyone know where I can pick these up? I have covered a Tele pickup before and found it to be super simple. From watching youtube videos it seems to be about the same way with these. I just need to make sure I purchase the right covers because of the trembuckers. Thank you in advance for your help with this!

I also would like to upgrade to the PRS locking tuners. Has anyone else upgraded their SE guitar and found that they are a perfect fit and work well? Again, much appreciation for your help

-Morey

I can attest to the SE locking tuners! They are awesome, whether the John Mann set or the PRS ones.

Hi everyone, I'm brand new to the PRS family. I've always but a Telecaster and Les Paul player. But glad to have just picked up a SE SemiHollow :) So far I really like the feel of it. I have never been a fan of exposed hum buckers, and not digging the creme color either, so I am going to install chrome or nickel covers on my PRS 85/15 S pickups. Does anyone know where I can pick these up? I have covered a Tele pickup before and found it to be super simple. From watching youtube videos it seems to be about the same way with these. I just need to make sure I purchase the right covers because of the trembuckers. Thank you in advance for your help with this!

-Morey

50 mm spaced covers are available from Stew Mac, All Parts or other online luthier supply shops. The PRS SE locking tuners are available from PRS (once we re-open) or from your favorite PRS dealer.

Strong suggestion: make sure you have access to a decent wattage soldering iron. The typical hobbyist pen type ones are mostly not adequate.

I did exactly this on a SE custom 22 semi hollow this year. I got the pickup covers from Guitar Center, ordered the Se locking tuners and a core nut. Easy to do and all works fine. The covers on the pickups give it a much classier look for a semi hollow.

You can find lots of covers on Ebay. I got some solid ones. Apparently you should get Nickel Silver because Brass changes the sound. Here's a pic
IMG-20200428-172001-hdr.jpg

Back