Pick question/poll

What is the most important factor in your pick choice?

• Speed/playability - If I can't play 64th notes with it then how can I shred?.

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • Tone - The sound has to inspire me to make better music.

Votes: 19 33.3%
  • Comfort - It's got to feel good in my hand.

Votes: 34 59.6%
  • Price - I lose them so much I just buy a pack of whatever for 4.99

Votes: 1 1.8%

• Total voters
I switch around with a bunch of different picks. Mostly jazz sized Tortex. Several years ago I bought a pack of Ibanez Paul Gilbert picks and I think they are my favorite. I've worn down all the ones I can find lying around here. I'd buy another pack for sure if I ever saw them in a store again. I can't bring myself to ordering picks online.

Further observations on comfort. Between Friday night and Saturday, played acoustic rhythm guitar for about 8 hours in jams at a local bluegrass/old time music festival. The Blue Chip pick just stuck to my fingers. Didn't have to think about it falling out or shifting it around. Unless I wanted one of the other points for a different sound. Was only limited in my time playing by my left wrist starting to hurt by the time evening rolled around.

Did try the Wegen tricorner for a couple of tunes. Then went right back to the Blue Chip. Love the Wegen design, but have to work too hard to keep a good grip. At that point, can't concentrate on the music.

I picked tone.

In reality, it's all of the above... but if it doesn't sound good, I'm probably not going to keep using it even if it's the cheapest, fastest, and most comfortable pick I've ever used.

I voted comfort. Medium celluloid just feel right.

Voted tone, but comfort and accuracy are important, too.

My go-to pick just changed. On a lark, I added a V-Picks Dimension Jr to an Amazon order a few weeks ago, and daaaaang. It does both the Jazz III thing and the Fender medium/heavy thing, with better accuracy and wider dynamic range, and with 4+mm of meat it's ridiculously comfortable to grip. I played more guitar the last three weekends than I probably played the three months beforehand. I'm actually getting paranoid about losing it...

Voted tone, but comfort and accuracy are important, too.

My go-to pick just changed. On a lark, I added a V-Picks Dimension Jr to an Amazon order a few weeks ago, and daaaaang. It does both the Jazz III thing and the Fender medium/heavy thing, with better accuracy and wider dynamic range, and with 4+mm of meat it's ridiculously comfortable to grip. I played more guitar the last three weekends than I probably played the three months beforehand. I'm actually getting paranoid about losing it...

They will make you a backup, you know...just sayin’. ;)

They will make you a backup, you know...just sayin’. ;)
True enough! It won't fit in my Herc stand pick holders, little too thick to tuck at the first fret, it tucks neatly under the bass E on my EG headstock but not the same spot on my SC250 headstock... must be an Annapolis vs. Stevensville thing. So I should probably order a couple spares. My daughter has been eying it jealously, I should see if they make them in custom colors, so I can give her a decoy, lol.

True enough! It won't fit in my Herc stand pick holders, little too thick to tuck at the first fret, it tucks neatly under the bass E on my EG headstock but not the same spot on my SC250 headstock... must be an Annapolis vs. Stevensville thing. So I should probably order a couple spares. My daughter has been eying it jealously, I should see if they make them in custom colors, so I can give her a decoy, lol.

Maybe a spare will fit in your pocket? :)

I picked comfort, but could have picked any one of the choices. Dunlop Ultex triangle .6. I love how they play and I love how the triangle fits on my hand...

I was surprised to read so many people choose comfort over tone. That said, I think most of us have had that 'oh sh!t' moment when playing a hot venue, sweating like crazy, and can't hold the slippery pick. So I suppose you can't get to the tone until you find a pick that is easy to hold under all conditions.

Last edited:
I was surprised to read so many people choose comfort overt tone. That said, I think most of us have had that 'oh sh!t' moment when playing a hot venue, sweating like crazy, and can't hold the slippery pick. So I suppose you can't get to the tone until you find a pick that is easy to hold under all conditions.
A good case for just using your fingers - they never fall on the floor when it gets sweaty.

But on tone, I do remember buying a pick with three distinct tips and one serated edge. A textured centre made it easy to feel which tip was to the string. I should check which case it is in.

I was surprised to read so many people choose comfort over tone. That said, I think most of us have had that 'oh sh!t' moment when playing a hot venue, sweating like crazy, and can't hold the slippery pick. So I suppose you can't get to the tone until you find a pick that is easy to hold under all conditions.

A pick is a tool.
If it doesn't feel right in your hand you're sunk before you even leave the dock.

I think most importantly i choose the picks that adhere best to the gaffers tape on the mic stand.

Which brings up a whole flood of other questions about which tape do you prefer to hold your picks, and to which surface do you stick them to?

I think most importantly i choose the picks that adhere best to the gaffers tape on the mic stand.

Which brings up a whole flood of other questions about which tape do you prefer to hold your picks, and to which surface do you stick them to?
I don’t like sticky stuff so none of my picks have ever seen a piece of tape. One spare on top of my amp was always good enough for me.

Back