Pick question/poll

What is the most important factor in your pick choice?

• Speed/playability - If I can't play 64th notes with it then how can I shred?.

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • Tone - The sound has to inspire me to make better music.

Votes: 19 33.3%
  • Comfort - It's got to feel good in my hand.

Votes: 34 59.6%
  • Price - I lose them so much I just buy a pack of whatever for 4.99

Votes: 1 1.8%

• Total voters

Huggy Love

Vintage member
In preparation of my third and final "boutique pick Roundup" I've been doing a lot of research, evaluating, and general plucking on a myriad plectrums. I have even resorted to fabricating my own out of the latest high-tech material......................... and even some household items.:p

But now I'd like your input on what you like in a pick, what is your "go to" plectrum, and what is more important to you, speed/playability, tone, cost, comfort.

I picked tone, but how the pick goes through the strings, it's ability to articulate a note, and how long it wears are also factors for me.

My go-to pick is a Blue Chip Jazz 40 on electric.

There is no one answer! Depends on the application. That's why I have over 100 varieties of picks. Always trying to find one perfect one... And stumbling across many that do one or two things well, very well or great in the process.

I have a favorite, but no one pick is best for everything... Unless you only play one style and maybe even one guitar.

I have used the same Pick Boy Rainbow .073 picks for years I sometimes use Dunlop Orange and the Yellow ones in a pinch any medium pick works for me.
I have tried to go different material and heavier at times keep going back to my old standard after a bit.
The Dunlops can be a bit scratchy sounding at times ( I smooth off the edges )
I also use the pick backwards most of the time using one of the rounder back edges of the pick

Just picked up a V-Picks Mummy - has a Ghost edge. Very limited time to try it, but what I heard acoustically sounded fine. Need to spend some time on it plugged in tonight if I can - then I can grab a spare tom'w!

Have been a V-Pick user for a very long time. Loved the Medium Pointy ones, but when I started playing live again it seemed I couldn't get that top-end sparkle I wanted and tried a Jazz III XL and there it was. I must have bought a big bag of 'em some years ago and must still have 30 of them left. Recently bought some of the Jazz III Primetones and I like these even better.

Jim

I'm back to plain jane Fender Mediums now...and keep a few Dava Grip Tips around too. All the other 100 or so picks I've tried over the past year are in a coffee mug in my gear room.

I'm not shredding, blues/jazz/jam for his older cowboy.

Green Tortex for me, for years now (PRS sells re-branded Tortex picks through the accessory shop). I've had a few fancy picks over the years, but these just feel right.

I try a lot of different picks, but always come back to the same Dunlop copper picks that I've been using for 20 years.

Yikes. Kind of embarassed to be the first one to pick speed / playability. Perhaps it is because I am still in the learning process, and still not able to really play fast enough to comfortably play my favorite music.

Kevin

I have a variety of Vpicks. A very clear opinion on them with everything from Taylor acoustics to PRS electrics. All shapes, sizes, point angles and edge finishes... one think it common. They're fast. If YOU'RE fast, the right one will make you faster or cleaner, but after extensvive testing, I just can't get past the tone. They are "clicky" sounding, have a "chirp" to them that I don't like and dont'want to destroy my tone trying to dial out. There are others that aren't as chirpy that do the same thing. But, so far I've found that ALL of the super fast pics don't have great tone. YMMV.

Vinnie is a good guy and I really like the picks. Just can't make them work for me overall. I use them... but not for long at a time.

Voted comfort. If there had been a second choice then it would be tone. After all my experimenting, seems I'm back with the Blue Chip TP 40 for performance and jamming and the 50 for practicing at home. It's the pick that feels the best in my hand over long periods of time and has an excellent tone on acoustic guitar.

That said, just purchased a Wegen tricorner last night at a festival and will be trying it today along with possibly one of my Red Bear picks when we head back to the festival.

Back