Pick of the litter

If you had $1,800-2,000 to spend, and you already owned an S2 Starla, which would you buy first:

• PRS S2 Custom 24 35th Anniversary

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • PRS CE 24

Votes: 12 28.6%
  • PRS CE 24 Semi-Hollow

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • PRS S2 McCarty 594 Slimline

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • Other

Votes: 14 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Thanks everyone. I hear you on the Core. $2.000 is actually my stretch budget and a decent Core seems challenging to find at that price. If I'm being realistic, I probably have closer to $1,500 but I'm trying to get that extra $500. Regardless, judging by the split on the poll so far, looks like there really is not a wrong answer.

Depends...Do you want 22 frets or 24 frets? Do you want a pattern thin neck or a bigger Les Paul style neck? I'd definately choose either a 594 or CE24/Custom 24. The former if you want a more traditional Les Paul style guitar, and the latter two if you want a superstrat. Differences are really just the necks since they're all nice guitars.

Last edited:
I’d probably do S2 CU24 if new, core CU24 if used allowed. Only other model popping into my head is used SAS, but that’s probably just my subconscious projecting my own desire for an ash PRS.

Depends...Do you want 22 frets or 24 frets? Do you want a pattern thin neck or a bigger Les Paul style neck? I'd definately choose either a 594 or CE24/Custom 24. The former if you want a more traditional Les Paul style guitar, and the latter two if you want a superstrat. Differences are really just the necks since they're all nice guitars.

Me, I'd watch for a deal on a used Ce24 and a 35th SE Cu24, You aren't too far out of budget to get both at $1500+. I know where a several great $1-200 Ce24 are hiding and an insane deal from a great dealer on a used a SE 35th Cu24 can be had. Heck, a smokin deal on a SE 30th just popped up. My 30th SE is my favorite SE I've played besides the 35th. Its my favorite Cu24 I've played besides a core.

But $1500 will get you a CE24 all day without even trying.

Me, I'd watch for a deal on a used Ce24 and a 35th SE Cu24, You aren't too far out of budget to get both at $1500+. I know where a several great $1-200 Ce24 are hiding and an insane deal from a great dealer on a used a SE 35th Cu24 can be had. Heck, a smokin deal on a SE 30th just popped up. My 30th SE is my favorite SE I've played besides the 35th. Its my favorite Cu24 I've played besides a core.

But $1500 will get you a CE24 all day without even trying.

I'd be eager to hear more about those hiding $1,200 CE24s!

I have a CE 24. You can easily find a barely played one for under 1500. Great guitar and you get core pickups.

Back